Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

primus

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by ludwig109, Jan 30, 2006.

1. in the song welcome to this world from pork soda which part does les do in the intro the first tapping bit or the the part that slides in?

anyone thanks

2. I THINK he plays both. The higher-pitched fast part (the first thing you hear in the song), I think that's just Les with some effect on his 6-string.

3. i can do both but dunno about at the same time mayb need a loop pedal then?

4. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    I always thought he did both.

I LOVE this song. Great album.

5. tis a good one anyone got a link to a live video of it or is it a loop pedal?
    #

6. GSRLessard14

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    There isn't a very confirmed source that the song was ever played live. Some maintain it was played a handful of times during the pork soda tour.

7. I saw them play a chunk of it live in 03, he just threw a piece of the verse into the middle of another song (I think it was My Name is Mudd). He didn't do it long enough for me to see what he was doing, and he didn't even play the higher part.
    Anyway, I'm gonna have to say that he just looped the higher part. There's no way he could've played both at the same time.

8. BassNoob?

BassNoob?

Sep 18, 2005
    Redding, CT
    The "tapping" part (not the slides) sounds like Ler's guitar. It does not sound like a bass. I've seen tabs that say he is tapping it, but i also have live recordings. I'm pretty sure that that part is guitar, not bass.

9. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I heard live that he taps the guitar part.

10. GSRLessard14

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    Can you post some live recordings of Welcome To This World? It's one of my favorite Primus tunes.

11. BassNoob?

BassNoob?

Sep 18, 2005
    Redding, CT
    Well, the one I got was off of primuslive.com and all of that is copyrighted. Prawn Song is pretty strict with stuff like that.
    EDIT: Although, I guess I could send it over AIM if I can find it again. I may have lost the CD.

12. i would love that if anoyn ecould find it please mail me

13. Go to Primuslive.com. You can download any concert from like 3 tours. I have all 4 Claypool concerts that I went to on CD. On one of them I can actually hear myself calling out for him to play Pudding Time.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that on the original recording (Pork Soda) Claypool did play both parts, though not at the same time. With a 6 string and the effects he has, he could definitely get THAT sound out of a bass. He didn't play it at the same time though, he would need at least 3 hands and probably 2 necks to do that.

14. GSRLessard14

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    which shows have WttW?

15. Seriously, you can hear yourself on the recording? That RULES!

I saw Primus in Auburn, Maine back @'95-96 and I got hit in the back with an Atlantic Salmon that some jackass tried to throw on stage. That ruled too!!! ;)

JT

16. HAhahahaha, that's awesome and crappy at the same time. And yes, I can really hear myself. First time I listened to the CD when I downloaded it I was like "NO F***IN WAY". It's cool.
    And really though, why do people throw stuff onstage? Les gets pissed! The second time I saw Primus, someone threw a cup half-full of something (probably beer) and it hit Les right in the chest and splashed all over his bass, RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF "Jerry Was a Racecar Driver". He said, and I quote,
    "Some small-penised individual has thrown a cup at me. I'm gonna go backstage, drink some wine, and try to recover from this terrible ordeal. In the meantime, Tim's gonna play some drums for ya".
    This was during the Tour De Fromage, when they played 2 sets, first was random Primus stuff, second set was all of Seas of Cheese. I had seen the same show 2 weeks earlier (look at the tour dates from November 03, he played the same venue twice in 2 weeks) so I wasn't upset about missing the song, but it still sucked.

And the coolest part about that show (the second one), was that in the middle of "Is It Luck?", they busted into "Jellikit", which is ONLY played live and never appeared on a studio album. That was a nice treat, I'm one of the few who has witnessed that song live. It was the last show of the tour so he wanted it to be special I guess:D

17. GSRLessard14

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    les is my jesus.

18. Hahaha, he was mine too for a while. Let me guess, you're fairly new to the world of Claypool/bass? Trust me, as a bass player, his stuff gets old and quite boring after a while.
    I still love to listen to it once in a while, but I remember a time when I listened to nothing but Claypool, I could recite every single Primus song in cronological order, and I dedicated about 3 months to learning to play every Claypool song I could.
    Looking back on it now, I still love the music, he just isn't the bass god I once thought he was.

19. BassNoob?

BassNoob?

Sep 18, 2005
    Redding, CT
    I'm starting to feel the same way about him, too. Hes my second favorite bass player (behind Dirk Lance of Incubus). I learned to play bass by watching Primus DVDs and mimicing what he is doing. My technique reflects this. :hyper:

20. GSRLessard14

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    I'll let you guess all you want, but you'd guess wrong.