Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

primus

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by lesfleanut, Dec 21, 2001.

1. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    i was just wondering,what are your favorite primus songs(if you even like them).mine are tommy the cat, john the fisherman,power mad,dmv,jerry was a racecar driver,american life,and to defy the laws of tradition. there are plenty more that i love but i dont want to type all day. im asking this because i want to learn some more primus songs. so give me some suggestions(i already know all the ones listed plus more but im getting sick of playing them). thanks guys(and girls).:)

2. Not to be a bitch or anything, but instead of learning more Primus songs, try to learn some other great players' stuff. Since you like Claypool's style, pick up a copy of Stanley Clarke's School Days, one of the biggest influences on Les' style.

You have the technical skill to learn Primus stuff; don't waste it on being a Claypool clone (and boy, do I know some of those :rolleyes: ).

3. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    i thought id get a reaction like that. i mostly play my own stuff. but a play ALOT of primus too. but thats not all i play,i try to learn a little bit of every thing.ive listened to some stanley clarke(but not much), but i didnt like the songs ive heard too much. so lets do this you people that like stanley, give me some examples of his good stuff so i can see if i like it. but also post some primus songs cause those are always fun.peace;)

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I think is ultra cool that you were able to pull off some of Les' stuff. It ain't easy! "Nature Boy" kicked my arse! I love to whole Brown Album, and a lot of his side stuff too, especially "Riddles Are Abound Tonight". Just because I am a huge Stu Zender fan, 4 years ago, a lot of people thought that was all I could do too. "He can only play Jamiroquai songs." Until they saw me play a jazz gig, and a rock gig the next night. !:rolleyes:

BTW, as for Stan the Man, get his self titled CD from '75 (?) and "School Days". "Vulcan Princess" RULES!!!!!!!

5. FWIW, I can barely play any Primus stuff, but I think that's more for lack of trying than anything else. Claypool's stuff impresses me on a technical level (except for his fretless intonation :rolleyes:, but at least he had the decency to give that up ;) ), but that's not the direction I want to go as a player. Still, I may just try to learn "Nature Boy" or "Frizzle Fry" one of these years.

BTW, Woodchuck, you know what song "Jerry Was a Race Car Driver" is ripped off from, right?

6. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    thanks warwicknut...oops i mean woodchuck:D (btw i like the new name better). i get that alot, when ever i play somthing for someone ive never played for,there always like holy crap you must have been playing for a long time, but when i tell them ive only been playing for three years they almost crap their pants. personaly i dont even think im that good. but i do know plenty of bassists that are alot older that me and have been playing alot longer that i can blow away. i guess im just a quick learner.:D keep em coming guys:)

7. "Elephant Talk," by King Crimson. The tapping riff used throughout "Jerry" differs by only a few notes from the one in "Elephant Talk"

Given that Claypool has said that '80s King Crimson is one of his big artistic influences, and that he plays "Thela Hun Ginjeet" at his Flying Frog Brigade shows, it shouldn't be surprising.

8. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    oh yea what are you guys talking about, what song is jerry the race car driver a rip off of. and cruise why do you say primus sucks, is it the singing or the whole band. whatever floats your boat i guess.

9. I think he was joking, you know their website IS called primussucks.com, right?

10. Wow, now that you mention it, I do see the similarities. Even though Elephant Talk's intro is played on a Chapman Stick, Les has been quoted saying he tried to model his sound on Tony Levin's Stick sound with light gauge strings.

11. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    oh, ok you just hit me off guard. ive never heard a bass player say that primus sucks. ive heard plenty of people say the singing sucks. i think he is a good singer,it matches the music perfectly. and anybody that says brain sucks needs to watch videoplasty.so what songs should i look for from primus and/or stanley clarke's schools album.:)

12. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    you have inspired me:D . i learned nature boy last night.:cool: i also learned the rest of power mad.id say i had a pretty productive night. and im trying to download Vulcan Princess right now.
    ps. how do you guys edit your threads

13. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    i just realized im not new member anymore. i went over 100 posts last night.:D :D :cool:

14. Yeah, Someone stole all of my CD's including Pork Soda, and I refuse to download Primus MP3's, it's a loyalty thing. I had almost all the Primus CDs but I'm not gonna burn a copy of a Primus CD even though I owned it. But I need to learn the solo to Nature Boy, awesome song! At first those triplet dead note rakes scared the **** outta me, but one day I just found myself doing them. So until I go out and buy Pork Soda, I don't know all of Nature Boy. I mostly learn Primus riffs, it's pretty sad considering they are my favorite band... but hey gimme a break, I've only been playing for 1 3/4 years.