is up and running

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by chump stain, Nov 11, 2003.

1. I'm looking forward to purchasing the show I went to in Detroit. I think it's pretty cool what the guys are doing, you get the entire show, plus art to make your CD with.

they had a sample up a few days ago of what it's going to sound like. One was a MP3 and one was in the new FLAC format. I downloaded them both, and really couldn't tell much of a difference. For $9.99 you can get the show in MP3, and for $12.99 you can get it in FLAC. I think I'll just get the MP3 version.

Anyone download any of the concerts?
    What do you think of the quality?
    Is FLAC really that much better then MP3?
  2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  3. atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Why pay more for FLAC recordings?

I'll tell ya why. Amongst music traders the preferred format is FLAC or any other "lossless" format. Although MP3's sound great, they are "loss" type formats that trim away some of the non essential frequencies of a recording in order to yeild a much smaller file size.

The problems begin as people start to make copies of MP3 sourced disks. After enough copies and copies of copies have been made the recording begins to degrade. Have you ever heard a cassette tape that's a multi generational copy of the orginal? A lot more hiss and loss of sonic frequencies. The same thing happens with MP3's that are copied over and over again. Eventually you may start to hear small digital anomolies in the copied recordings that where not in the original sourced recording. With lossless formats like FLAC there is no loss in the quality of the recording.

It's a big no, no in the music trading world to ever source a tradable show using MP3's.
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Smart, money-making, move by primus.

taking a page out of the Phish book there.
  5. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    And the Pearl Jam book.
  6. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Yeah, aren't FLAC files the size of WAV's though!?!? A 3 hour show would be like a gig, I want to rip it onto my computer an play it through AUX.
  7. That's the thing, the FLAC sample I downloaded was huge. It was easily as big, or nearly as big as a wav file.
  8. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Hey well. Since the Santa Cruz show, I've been going to their Bullboard, and just doing a CTR+F (Find) for that Santa Cruz show. And one of the things I found, was a BitTorrent recording (It's pretty pro too, if I was told it was from the website, I would have believed it too), anyway, all the files were in FLAC, and I had to get a FLAC to WAV converter on the FLAC website.
    Anyway, it wouldn't convert it to MP3, only WAV. The dowload for the concert in FLAC was about 875MB. That's insane. Maybe i'll do MP3, I don't know...
  9. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Get the Davis, CA show. You'll thank me.
  10. I read on the Bullboard that the Davis show was not that good...???
  11. I ended up getting the 10-17-03 LA show at the Wiltern, just because I liked the set list, and couldn't wait for the Detroit show any longer. I still plan on getting the Detroit show when it's avalable. Another reason I got the LA show is, they played almost a completely different 1st set then the Detroit show.

I got the MP3 version, I'm happy, they sound awesome to me!

there is a little feedback problem on Sgt. Baker. But it's over quick, and that's the only problem I've found. Overall, it was worth $10, I'm stoked!
  12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Not true! That's like saying a .doc or .jpeg picture file will degrade the more you copy it. It's a digital file. Cassette tapes are analog. When you download something, all you're doing is copying the codec that makes up the file and creating a new file. The same goes when you burn a cd. You're just copying files to the cd.
  13. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    GAH! When if ever are they going to put up the show they did in Eureka, CA? I know a ton of people who went and said it was amazing. I'm dyin' to hear it...
  14. check the bull board on I think some shows for whatever reason will not be avalible. Hopfully yours is not one of 'em.

I got the Detroit show last week, I think the mix is better then the LA show I got. But, there is some mistakes. Seems like the band was a little off that night, the cheese set sounds flawless though.