Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Prince Concert!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by malthumb, Mar 6, 2002.

1. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Just got in from the Prince concert. Oh yeah, he's still got it and then some. It was not the Prince spectacle of the 80s and 90s (half naked, doing spinning splits on top of 20 ft speaker towers, dry humping red velvet couches and the like) but what it was, is one of the tightest musical performances I've seen in a long time.

For those who've heard his new cd "Rainbow Children", it has a sort of a noveau jazz feel to it. The 1st hour and fifteen minutes or so, Prince played with that same sort of a jazzy feel. Some of his new stuff, some of a lot of other folks old stuff (Pass The Peas, Sing a Simple Song, Love Rollercoaster) and he did a lot of ballads. Rhonda Smith spent a lot of time on her electric upright. On the funkier numbers she used...............
    a black Fender Jazz with black pickguard, maple board and black block markers. I really expected to see a Lakland or two. Nope. Fender J and EUB.

The second half of the show (he played for almost 2 1/2 hours!) was led off by Prince doing a long, strong medley of many of his trademark ballads (Adore, Nothing Compares 2 U, Sometimes It Snows In April, Free, How Come U Don't Call Me) while Rhonda held down the low end on the EUB.

How could I forget....On sax....Maceo Parker
    JAMES BROWN VOICE ON
    Maceo..lemme take it to the bridge one time. UNH Two Times UNH UNH. Now ahmo get up and do my thang...
    WIPE SWEAT FROM FOREHEAD. JAMES BROWN VOICE OFF

What a show.

Peace,

James

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    dammit, i wanna go.

where was the show at?

3. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Detroit Opera House. The acoustics were PHENOMENAL. Guess that's why it's an Opera House. There's something just naturally incongruent about thinking of Prince performing in an Opera House, but it worked for me.

Peace,

James L. Martin

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well, maybe not

considering your descriptions of his earlier career theatrics... :D

5. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Prince is such a great musician. Man he rocks the house. He can sing. ain't his guitar skills ain't to bad either.. Great stage presence to.. man... i want to see... I wanna see.... :)

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

He's also a decent bassist... Although it sounds like Rhonda is doing 100% of the bass duties these days... Not that that's a bad thing. Rhonda rocks too.

7. JaggedB

JaggedB

Jan 26, 2002
    Columbus, OH

He's also a decent bassist... Although it sounds like Rhonda is doing 100% of the bass duties these days... Not that that's a bad thing. Rhonda rocks too.

I worked the show in Columbus, OH. I didn't pay a whole lot of attention when he changed instruments, but he did have a Danelectro bass in his guitar stage case.