1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Prince: Let's Work Live in 1982

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

This is my favorite Prince bassline of all time except for maybe Lady Cab Driver.

2. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    The 70's Jazz bass sound is prevalent in so much (mostly all) of his music and he's known to lay down some ferocious bass himself as other bassists are well aware of, you would think Fender would consider some sort of one off. Thanks Cheese for the vid. :cool:

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  3. I know I tell too many stories, but I've lived a Forrest Gump life.

John Niemann is a guy I've been delighted to work with a lot in live sound. He spent a number of years running a monitor desk for Prince and also Ray Charles. He's one of the best board Ops I've ever met, and a nice guy. Last I heard he's living in Japan designing computer-controlled environmental systems for skyscrapers.

John always said Prince was a really tough guy to work for... demanding and volatile, fired people on a whim without thought when his temper was short, but one of the most gifted guitar players and composers you'd ever meet.

20db pad and Dr. Cheese like this.
  4. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I've been on a Prince bassline kick lately. Prince is probably the first slapper I know of who regularly slapped outside of the octave thump and pluck approach. I also think his use of rhythm with accents, dead notes, rests, and syncopation is remarkable.

5. T-Funk

T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    USA
    Brown Mark actually posted a video of himself playing the bass line, on his YouTube channel, about two weeks ago. Unfortunately, it was removed due to a copyright infringement notice.

6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That Brown Mark video was what put Let'S Work back on my mind.

T-Funk likes this.
  7. Leo Smith

Leo Smith

Oct 21, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    oh my dayum, that is sick!

8. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    I'm digging his falsetto more than the bass line. I wish I could make my voice do that.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  9. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    My mom had that same pantsuit

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  10. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That little man in the pantsuit with the falsetto had more women after him than all of TB combined!