1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Prince Of Persia: What's up with the accents?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stinsok, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    My wife rented that last night. Why did they choose English accents for characters from that time period and geographical location?

2. Cos America wasn't invented then? :) I could counter with why didn't ze Germans spot Tom Cruise was up to something in Valkyri when he had such a strong American accent?
    Fnar

3. Bogfish

Bogfish

Sep 22, 2010
    It made a poorly crafted film even worse. So many flaws in this movie.... ya gotta just give up and accept it is terribad... then laugh your way through :D

These "video-game" movies are all parodys- most unintentionally lol IMHO.

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Making them speak English with a foreign accent doesn't make any more sense.
    To bring sense into the equation, they should speak Middle Persian.

5. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Unpossible! It's you lot that have the accent. :bag:

6. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

It's not just Prince of Persia. British accents are the mindless default for any game, movie, or TV show that wants the audience to register "old" or "classy." Think every movie you ever saw about the Middle Ages or Roman Empire, even if it's set in France or Italy.

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Well now this could make sense, since during middle age British people spoke French.

8. Sketchy

Sketchy

Jul 15, 2010
    Bristol, UK
    I didn't realise they did have british accents in that film.

I guess I don't register it, seeing as I live in britain, but now you mention it, they do have british accents...

... Nice.

9. Jon_West

Jon_West

Jan 8, 2009
    GTA, Ontario
    To be fair, almost all of the actors aside from Gyllenharutfhsdgfh were actually British.

10. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    would have been funnier had every line of dialogue been delivered in Cockney slang.

11. This.
    Using an English accent as a way of indicating "foreigness" is nothing new, they've been doing it in movies pretty much since they started using sound. If you really want to get anal about it and be absolutely authentic, you could have them speaking the actual language and use English subtitles, but that can be tedious and distracting and can take you out of the moment even worse than having an "incorrect" accent. Having an English accent is no more unrealistic than speaking English with a Persian (in this case) accent.

12. I'd appreciate you not slandering the great country of Britain with this ... nonsense

13. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

... true .

14. No slander involved. French was the global language up until around 150 years ago. At which point German and English took over with English becoming the main language around the end of the first world war.

lowsound

15. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
  16. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Your mother is an hamster and your father smells of elderberries.

17. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I fart in your general direction.

English...ka...nig its!

18. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    You honestly watched this movie expecting something other than utter crap? That was your first mistake, buddy.

19. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Sep 6, 2010
    I did'n see nuffin wrong wiv it, what's ver bovver wivit ven?

20. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    A horrible premise, based on a video game, with horrible actors, produced by Disney, just to generate a buck. This can be said of a lot of bad movies.