1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Prince on guitar

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by powderfinger, Oct 24, 2010.

1. powderfinger

powderfinger

Feb 24, 2009
    I know a good deal of Prince's popular material, but haven't ever really delved into this backlog and album cuts. I have seen him play lead guitar though on many occasions (usually live tv performances), and he totally rips it up. But all the Prince songs I know barely have any guitar... they are just his funky 80s/90s tunes. Are there any albums/songs that really showcase his guitar playing more than others? ID like to delve in.

2. dee rob

dee rob

Feb 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    There are so many tracks to choose from, it makes it hard to decide which tracks to recommend. :bassist: One of my faves from the early days is "I'm Yours" from the For you LP. A couple of more recent tracks are "Wall of Berlin" and "Dreamer" both from the Lotusflower LP. "three chains of gold" from Love Symbol is a little dramatic, but has some cool guitar work. I think there are a couple guitar oriented songs on Planet Earth as well. Those are a few to check out off the top of my head.

dee

3. powderfinger

powderfinger

Feb 24, 2009
    Wall of Berlins only one I had time to listen to.. didnt have as much guitar as I expected. Went back to YouTube and found him doing Crimson and Clover. He wailed on that one.

I think Prince should do an album of guitar driven rock, IMO.

4. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    Listen to "Crazy You" from his first record "for You". Very nice acoustic work.

5. Savage_Dreams

Savage_Dreams

Jan 8, 2007
    the gold experience or chaos & disorder (both from the mid 90's) have some cool guitar stuff all over.