Prince on Saturday Night Live!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by GrooveWarrior, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Did anyone catch this? He is amazing. I couldn't tell who the new bass player was. I also couldn't confirm what he was playing. In one shot, it looked like a Tobias. I am always amazed by his song writing skills. Not to mention he absolutely tastefully shreds on guitar!!!!!

On a side note, I saw that the bass player in the pre-game show was using an Alleva-Coppolo. That is the second time in the last couple of months I have seen one on TV (I don't remember where the first one was though).

The Stones sucked, but I know there are other threads about that. I just wanted to throw it in on this "weekend music" thread.
  2. bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Agreed...Prince is a great performer and writer and he killed on guitar on on the Stones they were classic as hell.
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I loathe the stones so I can't judge them. Prince was pretty amazing, but I didn't like the hiding the band in the shadows concept...
  4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    If a band sounding like a really bad garage band trying to imitate themselves is "classic" then that's what the Stones were. The rhythm section was solid, but otherwise, it was a VERY POOR performance.

Missed Prince on SNL, damn shame...:(
  5. The first tune was very "rock" and Prince was killing on guitar. Using a lot of wah, and some other effects. The second tune was more what you usually expect from him. Funky, R&B flavor with great vocals and a tight groove. It sounded like the bass player might have been using an envelope on the second song. Either that, or the keys were just reall in synch with the bass.

Good stuff.
  6. Even though I dont listen to Prince, I admire his musicianship and songwriting. He is a very talented singer and plays many instruments well. He played well on SNL, I didnt recognize the bass player
  7. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Yeah, didnt know the bassist, Kinda looked like Maurice Fitzgerald, 'course, I may be wrong, I DID see he was using a Ken Smith 5 though.
  8. OK. I couldn't quite make it out. I was tired, and couldn't get a good view of the headstock.
  9. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Yeah, I actually stayed up just to watch it. I liked the first tune a little better than the later one (which was cool too though), very nice guitar on that one. I loved the skit they did about him on the show too.

The Stones sucked, but I know there are other threads about that.

Yep, and they go back a lot further than this halftime show too. :ninja:
  10. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Another plug for the Prince Live At The Alladin, Las Vegas DVD.
  11. XIbanez4lifeX

Nov 15, 2005
    Here is Prince on SNL, absolutely amazing.

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Very nice. I never knew he actually played an instrument besides his butt. :D

13. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Man, I had no idea.

And he just played in SF...I keep missing him.

Did see the last tour though. Killer.
  14. willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    I really hope your kidding,prince is one IMO of the most important musicians of the last 25 year's.
  15. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...and a pretty decent bass player.
  16. Larry Graham says that Prince is the only other bass player who really "gets" the idea of slap and pop besides himself. Pretty high accolades.