Prince's drummer at the Rock n Roll HoF

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ThePaste, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Does anyone know his name? I thought he was a great drummer.
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I always remember Prince's bands with Sheila E - who played some fantastic stuff on the live videos - and Prince has his classic understatement quote about "not bad for a girl!!" ;)

You would never mistake her for a guy either!! ;)
  3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    That's John Blackwell. I'm thinking hard about buying his 'instructional' DVD...from what I've read, he & Baron Browne demonstrate various grooves.

Pick up Prince's Live At The Alladin Las Vegas DVD(there's a few of us here who keep recommending this!). Basically, the same band as the HOF show minus Candy Dulfer & plus Sheila E. on percussion. The solos are longer & tend to be 'jazzy'.
    Prince is a helluva player & bandleader.
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'm sure I will always prefer Sheila E - no matter how good he is!! ;)
  5. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Excellent instructional DVD in my opinion. John has amazing chops and it's awesome watching him jam with Baron. I highly recommend this DVD.
  6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    yeah man! you've been pushing this DVD in many threads!

I'll get it already! :D
  7. Wildside

Jan 12, 2004
    theater of pain
    I have John Blackwell Jr's instructional dvd and it's good for certain things, like showmanship and certain shuffle beats. It's not very good for really developing your technique though, there's other dvd's that are better for that like steve smith's, or marco minneman's extreme drumming. The Blackwell dvd is very entertaining and fun to watch though. He's one of my favorite drummers and he puts on a great show. There's also footage of him watching classic drum battles and commenting on them which is cool.
  8. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I went to Berklee with John. He was a real mutha back then too.
    He used to play with Cameo as well. Nice to see him in such a good gig.