1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Printers that print directly to CD/ Tech reviews?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Oct 29, 2006.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Hey all-

I've been looking at inkjet printers that print directly to an appropriately blank CD, and have been considering an Epson Stylus Photo R260. I know I don't want a laser burning type printer, as I would like to have color. I'm not doing mass runs, either, just 10 - 12 one-offs a week most likely.

Does anyone A) Have any experience with this printer or other inkjet CD printers or B) have a trusted site that includes reviews of printers where I could get some info on this particular printer?

2. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    I own the R200 - I think that was Epson's first consumer level inkjet that printed on CD's. It is wonderful, however, I am now hooked on HP's LightScribe technology. I love the color printing of the Epson printer, but LightScribe gets it done for me because:
    Simplicity
    No $$ ink
    Just flip and burn
    Lightscribe though can take "forever" for high-quality.
    Anyhow, to answer your question, the R200 works great, so I would expect the same from a newer printer from the same company.

Can you get a demo locally?
    If not, I'll print one for you - just send me an image and your address.

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Hmm... I appreciate that, but I think I can coerce the yahoos at one of the local stores to print me one. It's a five-color printer, though, and I heard it's pretty thirsty. Thanks for the comments, though. I looked at the R200, but figured that it was worth the extra couple of bucks to bump up to the 260.

4. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I have the R300 (about three years old), and it's awesome. Yes, it's thirsty and the ink is more expensive than average. But the printing on CDs is sharp and clean, and it is fairly easy to create designs to fit. The printing mechanism has not caused me any problems, and it works with odd-sized and odd-shaped CDs (I like those "business card" discs to hand out at schmoozefests).