Priorities: Empress ParaEQ vs. Compression

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Arch1medes, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Arch1medes

Arch1medes

Nov 14, 2009
    So I’m considering my first quality pedal. My goal is to bring out the best from my current setup, and cut through the mix. Whichever pedal I get, it’ll probably be more than a year before I get the other. Hence...priorities!

Stage:
    2x acoustic guitars, 1x piano, 1x keys, 1x electric drums, 4x mic’d singers. Floor monitors only, no in-ears. Analog board (about 20 years old). FOH is 2 speaker cabs clustered together hanging 20 feet above middle of the stage. Sub underneath the stage.

Equipment:
    MIM jazz (ceramic pickups)
    D’addario Chromes
    Ampeg BA210v2, line out to FOH
    HPF @ 50hz

It’s a church, and if you walk across the sanctuary during practice it’ll go from boomy, to clear, and back. When the band reaches the climax of a song, my clarity in the mix gets drown out and it’s just boom.

opinions? Thoughts? Thank you!

2. Arch1medes

Arch1medes

Nov 14, 2009
    Is it too early to bump? I’d like some food for thought from anyone willing

3. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Scandinavia
    The sound of the room depends of the sound guy and he has other tools to help you to cut in the mix.
    I would recommend to record your band. Based on that, try to point out what is missing in your sound.

4. Arch1medes

Arch1medes

Nov 14, 2009
    Thanks for responding. 100% agree. Our sound guy knows how to make things sound decent, but he’s not deeply familiar with EQ, and there’s no compression available on the board. I love the guy, but this ain’t his comfort zone. He’s a high school drama teacher who runs sound for the drama program.

my main thing is when the band reaches the noise ceiling on a song, I want note definition and clarity to be there.

5. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Hello. Live sound is not my specialty. Far from. But if you mean that there is a subwoofer underneath a hollow stage, then that could be a contributor to the boominess.

If you can, arrange a test: your band plays a song with the subwoofer connected; then it plays the same song with the subwoofer disconnected. Listen to each version, walking across the room as you described. What difference do you hear? If the boominess is reduced by disconnecting the subwoofer, then suggest that it be used, but moved to a location outside of the stage.

6. Firstly I agree with the others point about the front of house situation being of bigger concern. But to your actual question about which I would buy first depends on your playing style. If you're playing with a pick or a bit heavy handed I would go with comp just to even things out and provide consistency to the low end feeding the front of house. Especially if there is no comp on the console as you said.

However if your pretty confident with your consistency across the dynamics then it's hard to pass up the eq for tone shaping and the ability to sculpt the tone before it even gets to front of house. With a bit of experimenting you might find a nice frequency spot to cut a little that help reduce any mudiness which will help with clarity.

Hope that helps

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022