1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Priorities, The Grass is Not always Greener

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bluewine, May 6, 2010.

1. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Recently I have been looking at options looking at other bands. I want to play out more than 2 xs a month and I was concerned because my band mates have other things going on in their lives that impact how many shows we do. I am at the point in my life where I’m free to do (within reason) what I want and that is play a lot of shows.

Well, I found out that most of the bands I auditioned for really would not put me in a better position. And these bands were really not playing the kind of hard driven rock that we do(sort of 70s style)

I also came to the realization that I have 4 great band mates in my band. They are all professional and good people, no drama (except for 1 little incident which is over with and buried). We have one of the few hot lead guitarist in the city, a passionate rhythm guitarist that doubles on keys, writes great songs and provides a wonderful rehearsal space in his home. A really cool technically advanced drummer and finally we have the hottest and best female front, lead singer in town.

Regardless of how much we play I am staying where I fit.

Just something for you anyone to think about if you are dealing with the same challenge.

Comments?

2. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Looking at options is good - in your case, it made you appreciate what you've got going on.
    Jumping ship without looking, then finding out that things are worse out there - that would have been bad. The way you did it is pretty sensible.

3. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Thanks, it takes me longer than most to catch onto reality:)
    blue

4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I`m always looking for better bands that are gigging much more often. Unfortunately, most of those happen to be already well established bands that have been around the block a lot and have pretty permanent members that aren`t going anywhere.

5. jakelly

jakelly Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2009
    I *sort of* regret quitting my last band. We were pretty good part of the time, were starting to get good gigs, the guitarist had a state of the art PA system, etc. The downside was, we sometimes made embarrassing, stupid mistakes on stage, too much substance abuse going on, and they more or less treated me as a hired hand rather than a band member. At the time I quit I couldn't wait to get out there and audition for other bands. Most of them were a big step down from what I left.

I finally got with a group of people I like. But the PA leaves a lot to be desired. I may invest in some PA gear myself, to augment what the drummer already owns.

6. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    It definitely changes your whole perception of things when you get out and look around. I'm getting into a new group right now, but realized coming home from rehearsal with the old group that I'm going to work with them both for a while, instead of quitting one to join the other. Who knows what will happen? I don't want to get six months down the road, and have no band. (They all know what I'm doing)

Plus it will give me more work. Have you considered joining one of these other bands you checked out, without leaving the current one, to get more gigs that way?

7. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Or focus on venues that provide pro sound and lights.
    blue

8. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    That was the plan, but from what I could see, it would end up taking up a lot more of my time and not that many more shows.

9. llatikcuf

llatikcuf

Aug 24, 2007
    Sitting in the mix well
    It may not be your "cup of tea", but if you just want to be out there playing more and don't care about the money then a church gig may be the thing. Between playing regularly at church and my band that's enough playing for me.

10. pbagley

pbagley

Jun 2, 2008
    Ham Lake, MN
    Or you can play in multiple bands, and play in church as well.

I play in two classic rock and country cover bands, and for my local church once every 3 weeks.

There is the whole scheduling nightmare, but both my bands play out only 1x a month on average so it isn't that big a deal. Sometimes last minute Saturday bookings mean that one is _really_ tired for the church gig on Sunday morning.

One small problem you may face is that both bands play the same song, but play it differently. Different key, maybe hold a certain chord a little longer here and there, or maybe put a little stylistic spin on things. You can handle it.

Otherwise I am blessed with two bands that have very little drama for the most part, have been stable for years, and generally are decent guys who I enjoy being with... with the exception of one who is just someone I don't click all that well with (but is an old HS friend of the others in the band).

Good luck!

- Paul

11. No pictures, no hot female front :bag:

12. I would suggest playing in an additional band. I did 3 bands at 1 time last year (I was actually in 7 different bands that I gigged with), and it was a bit of a juggle but doable. I wound up playing every weekend. I was rehearsing 3x a week . I later found a band that wanted to gig weekly and am now able to rehearse 2x a month. I went from a song repetoire of 250 with 3 bands to about 70 with my current band and a bit less hectic, but it was a fun year and I'll never regret it.

13. you could take a cue from cherie in texas,and do a weekly jam night,or even a start up of your own side project....

14. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Jun 29, 2009
    Carol Stream, IL
    If it's buried, why'd you just bring it up? [​IMG]

15. I play in the band in my sig, which "gets me off", so to speak. We meet twice a week, if everyone can. Those guys are good friends who have mortgages, kids and actual lives. Their aspirations are to record music and play out every once and a great while, which is what it is. I consider that my hobby band and am always looking for a working band. I am careful not to get involved in yet another hobby band, so keeping that project going helps. Any other projects I get involved in are simply "hired gun" in my mind. I have found that since I want to play music for a living, and my current band does not, it is best to "hire" myself out. That keeps the hobby band from feeling they have to try to keep me interested.
    Not sure if that helps, but it is one of many stories out there to read.

*edit* I forgot to add that the hobby band fills my need to play the style of music I want to play, which does wonders for me when I play music I would otherwise find boring or what have you. I can always get off with my friends, the rest is work.

16. Marginal Tom

Marginal Tom

Apr 28, 2010
    O'Fallon, IL
    I'd recommend going to jam sessions and letting other band leaders know that you would probably be available if they ever need a temporary replacement for their bass player. I've filled in several times when the regular bass player was sick or out of town, and once when he was in jail. It's a challenge, and you'll make mistakes, but you're allowing them to keep a paying gig, so they'll forgive you.

17. jakelly

jakelly Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2009

Those venues are a little hard to come by in my neck of the woods. Even some of the "elite" venues don't provide sound. Many do have house lights, even if just very basic lights, but not sound.

18. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    yes, several guys I know, play church gigs. I would do it, but i can't get up that early.

19. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    i saw it as an opportunity to let folks know that my experience over the past year with the band was great, but not problem free.

20. if it comes down to how often you play, then why not go play some off night coffee house type gigs to expand your horizons, musically? If you can read, look around for pit band work for stage plays, or maybe Sunday church gigs. It doesn't have to be an either or deal, nor does it have to be a matter or priorities, if you look at side gigs as just that- some toss offs to let you get your ya ya's out, without upsetting your main band..