Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by evilbob101, Jan 26, 2003.

1. Oh, heres a thread for ya.

Im writing a research paper for my english class, "Privacy in the Information Age". Ive done quite a bit of research on it so far, and i knew that we didnt have a lot of privacy to begin with, but after what i have read, you really begin to grasp the fact that privacy is only in the imagination.

i.e. "Of course, it's relatively easy to learn a person's name, address, telephone number, social security number, and mother's maiden name. Credit bureaus hand this data out to their customers. Lookup services make this information available, at minimal cost, over the Internet." quoted from Database Nation: The death of privacy in the 21st century by Simson Garfinkel. Amazing book by the way. And im not even going to go into how dangerous, not to mention dangerously easy it is for someone to steal your identity....*shudders*

oh, btw, if anyone has an idea for a well developed thesis statement for this paper (ive got the idea, just not the right words yet), id defenitly help me out.

and any comments would be interesting.

be careful out there....your never alone
  2. Not sure how relevant this is but in France they have very stringent laws against encryption of data - I'm pretty sure that PGP apps are illegal. Just something you might like to look into as it concerns privacy.
  3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    In order to have a thesis statement, we'd have to have an opinion or we'd introduce a conclusion based on evidence researched beforehand.

-I don't think you should let someone else think for you.

-I think you'll write more confidently if you use facts discovered by you, not unverified information obtained for you in a bass forum.

I think you're stuck with this one...

Well, you said "any" comments...
  4. well no need to worry about that anymore! i have an awesome thesis and outline for my paper. only needs to be 5 pgs. mine will be an easy 10 or more......hope my english teacher likes to read...and isnt

yottskry, just for my own information (and the sake of discussion) what kinds of laws did the french legislature pass? I know here in the us, there is some form or another of legislation in action against data encryption, especially concerning information in the workplace. ill have to find out what that is....
  5. blackbird, i hadn't intended on letting others think for me. I just wanted someones elses view point. That way i might be able to see my topic from a different perspective and be able to research what others have said, making my thesis a little more well rounded. thanks though. like i said "any" comment is helpful (and just so there is no confusion, im not being scarcastic at all)
  6. I don't really know much about it, just recently I was attending a conference on multimedia and the issue of privacy and encryption arose. One of the speakers mentioned French laws and said that PGP is banned because of anti-encryption laws. If you're interested the best bet is probably to search google.
  7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    You'll get diffferent viewpoints more successfully if you share your viewpoint first.
  8. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Some of those might be easy to find, but your social security number is supposed to be quite private! I don't think any credit bureau will give that data out, and if they did, they would be in quite a bit of legal trouble!