1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Private lessons / camps in the US

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jelles, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Jelles

Jelles

Jul 29, 2009
    Hi guys (and girls),

A friend of mine is in NY as we speak to take lessons from all kind of different bass players. I was wondering, do you guys know any places where you can do this? For some reason I'm really attracted to LA or NY so preferably suggestions in either one of these cities but anywhere else in the states is also fine :) In short, I'm looking for private schools where I can buy 8 - 10 lessons from different great teachers or maybe even camps where I can meet different people/musicians and play with them..

Hit me!

Cheers!

2. BassMom88

BassMom88

Oct 17, 2011
    Hi there

You may want to get the information from your friend as he/she seems to be signed up for what you're looking for. I don't play myself, but I know a lot of teachers/camps through my kid who does play bass.

You can take Skype lessons with a bunch of people from anywhere in the world. You don't mention which style you prefer or what your goals are...so that would be helpful to know as far as someone specific to study with.
    Here's a few off the top of my head:
    I know he's very busy lately on the road, but you can check out Anthony Wellington at www.bassology.net
    He's awesome and posts here.

Also... Highly recommend Zuzo Moussawer from Brazil...I believe he's still Skyping ..amazing player!! My daughter studied w/him until she moved to the upright bass.
    Www.zuzomoussawer.com
    Click on the "classes" tab

As far as camps go....you have check the websites for available dates.
    Camps/workshops my daughter has attended have been great.

She's been to a few of Jim Stinnett's
    www.stinnettmusic.com
    He does Bass Workouts several times a year and NH Bass Fest every June (it was amazing!!) You study with a variety of instructors...she studied w/ Michael Manring, Bruce Gertz, Rob Gourlay, Dave Buda & Jim & Grant Stinnett, and some amazing players from Brazil.

Berklee Bass Lines is every June in Boston...that was really good too as you study w/ Berklee faculty and the visiting artist this year was Victor Bailey...very cool!! Tends to be HS/College age but I think there were adults too.

We haven't been but I've heard great things about Victor Wooten's camp in Nashville (few times a year) and Gerald Veasley's Bass Boot Camp (Reading PA in March) and Jeff Berlin does week long intensives at "The Players School of Music" in FL...some threads about that experience here on TB.

There's also the Berklee 5 week...which can be an investment and too late for this year, but I've heard good things about that too!

Good luck and I hope you find what you're looking for!!

3. The Fur Peace Ranch is a lot of fun. There are bass classes by
    Jack Casady and others. Typically, there are guitar classes
    going on at the same time as bass classes. In between
    classes and in the evenings, they are jamming everywhere.
    They get some outstanding guitar players who are always
    looking to play and more than happy to get a bass player to
    sit in. The classes are great but it may be the jams between
    classes that I look forward to most, they are a lot of fun.

The camp is more oriented to acoustic guitars so don't expect
    hard rock jams but, if that fits your style, it's great stuff.
    Leave all that equipment that is best for heavy metal (Gene
    Simmons axe bass, heavy metal spandex, etc.) at home. :p

http://www.furpeaceranch.com/workshops.html

4. Jelles

Jelles

Jul 29, 2009
    Thanks for the replies!

I've stumpled upon the berklee 5-week but it seems to it's for for teenagers who are looking to study there. As for myself, I've recently finished conservatory here in Holland so I'm looking for some more in-depth stuff :)

But I'll check out all your options! Thanks again!

Cheers

5. I think Victor Wooten offers a bass camp. It might be a little expensive, but you get to have classes with Steve Bailey, Anthony Wellington, VW and other great bass players.
    I think they offer a number of different camps for different durations and levels of playing.
    http://www.vixcamps.com/