1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Private Operated Mail System?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MadMan118, Aug 7, 2012.

1. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    What say to the USPS just being scrapped and mail contracts turned over to private contractors?
    I'm for it. Firstly the USPS couldn't deliver a letter up their own ***.
    I think a lot of people fear UPS and FedEx handling mail. But I think competition between private companies might keep prices at a decent level. The US is a bad place for decent customer service so I'm not even commenting on that matter.
    I also believe it will persuade more people and companies to use electronic documentation and billing.
    I'm sure there's plenty of cons to that situation too. What do you guys think?

2. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Hmm..interesting idea. I do remember here in Jersey when the Dept of Motor Vehicles privatized the inspection and document processing, holy crap was there a huge difference. Like night and day. If USPS went the same route..? Could be a good thing I guess

3. I think it's inevitable. All the USPS does these days is deliver bills and junk mail, and they compete with UPS and FedEx when it comes to delivering packages. The days of people writing letters to each other is long dead (30 years since I last wrote one!), and electronic paperless billing is the new thing nowadays.

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Funny USPS has been problem free for me for decades in a variety of places. UPS and FedEx on the other hand have mostly sucked.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I have a few friends who work for the USPS. I mail letters as much as I can so it helps all those people keep their jobs. I do think the USPS does a good job looking out for veterans.

-Mike

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    With FedEx and UPS in the game, you can look forward to the 'mailman' to make up lame excuses as to why he didn't bother to come up to the mailbox and listed your location as empty/unavailable and why he didn't bother to try to deliver that letter that cost $2.00 to take a week to get across the country.

7. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    As an employee of the USPS I'm just gonna keep my mouth shut and listen to what you guys have to say.
    :bag:

8. iJazz

iJazz

Jan 9, 2012
    Sussex, WI
    While I do believe that government services can often be improved by being managed in a more business like model I am NOT one who believes that all government services should be disbanded in favor of the private sector, including the USPS. This simply moves us further away from having a government by the people (insert snarky laugh at the irony of that statement here) and closer to being people subjected to the profit creating whims of the corporatocracy without regard to the good of the people. The public good becomes not the customer of the process under consideration but rather the commodity serving the business in that sector.

Private systems favor private owners. When all are affected by that system, it should be owned by the public, not in private hands. That's why we should be in a single payer health care system, too.

iJazz - 'Nuff said.

9. i prefer USPS for packages and the people that work in my local post offices are friendly, but i have applied for jobs there and think that the pay is pretty high, atleast in my area. could that be part of the problem as to why they are hemorrhaging money?

10. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    That's been my experience as well. Though I would also say that it's a regional thing and entirely dependent of the quality of people working at the individual offices and depots.
    I moved two years ago to another area and the postal service here is by far worse than from where I used to live no more than 30 mins away. (But even still, better than FedEx or UPS)
    yet there are folks here on TB who have had nothing but misery in dealing with USPS.

11. I use USPS's Click & Ship problem free. Larger packages have been going FedEx. So far problem free as well. USPS provides me with free boxes and free pick ups. Something UPS and FedEx charges for.

I say keep it as it is.

Imagine the price of mailing something like a letter sized envelope with a privet mailer. Just saying some of us rely on USPS and I haven't had a problem with them.

12. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    The theory would be that if it's privatized, then it's competing with the other's for business. One way of competing is to undercut the other's prices. (a win for the consumer)
    In theory at least...that can always backfire and go the other way..

13. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Ive had absolutely 0 problems with the USPS. That said, Ive also had no problems from either UPS or FedEx.

14. tink9975

tink9975

Aug 10, 2006
    MoCo, MD
    no they are hemmoraging money because of a law that forced them to fund their pensions 75 years in advance. funding pensions for workers who are not even born yet to the tune of 5.5 Billion a year. Not including this fee, the USPS actually turns a profit.

15. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001

Yep. All that^ Plus, it's actually the best deal in goverment.

Who else is going to come to your door and take a letter anywhere in the country for you for less than 50 cents.

16. Gaius46

Gaius46

Dec 15, 2010

In deference to full disclosure my dad and uncle are both retired USPS workers.

IMHO the USPS is one of the few government agencies - quasi-goverment anyway - that delivers value for the cost of the service. 46 cents to reliably deliver a letter across the country in a couple of days is really pretty good.

That said I'm a big fan of both privatization and competition.

17. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    How about we privatize the military as well? Just hire some mercs and let them go at it. Problem solved.

I don't thin so, Lucy.

Same for the USPS.

Plus, it would just be another reverse welfare system making a few people rich.

18. Gaius46

Gaius46

Dec 15, 2010
    National defense is one of the few legitimate governmental functions. (and by the by private armies and mercenaries have been around since the dawn of time)

19. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    I dunno what it is with parcel and mail services in northern CA. The West Sacramento sorting facility cant figure out up from down. When I used to work for Fed Ex I always had issues working out of their Sacramento terminal too.

Working in transportation I can see that USPS performs a hell of a logistical feat. And at 44 cents a letter its cheap. And I do like their flat rate box. But many many times I've sent letters and bills out that never reach their destination in a timely matter or ever at all.

Unfortunately the govt did screw them to s point, and times are changing and people don't really send letters any more.
    I don't believe the US Govt should bailout any thing larger than an orange at this point. But I'm going to stop before I cross the political debate line.

20. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    + 1

You already have companies like FedEx and UPS that own USPS on parcel delivery. It's not as though mail delivery done by somebody besides the USPS is going to cripple us. Strat makes a good point too...all you get is bills and junk mail, so if people can pay bills online or do direct deposit for paychecks...what's the point? Can't do anything but help us progress.