Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Private Practice Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ben Vail, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Ben Vail

Ben Vail

Jul 29, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I have been looking into getting a private practice amp. Basically something that can fit in my case with a headphone output, that produces a great sound. I found Fodera's Private Practice Amp, but the Retail is 399.99, and I've found it online as low as 249.99 - but that's still expensive. Is there another product like Fodera's for maybe not all that much? For those of you who aren't familiar with it, it's about the same size as there preamp, and has a quarter inch headphone output, along with a instrument input and a few basic EQ stuff on it.

If anybody knows of a company who produces a product like this, as small as I need it to be like fodera's, please let me know.

-Ben Vail

2. google Cafe Walter.

I had one and liked it.

Less than 200 I believe.

3. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    I am using a tascam cdbt1 for similar uses. it is a bit larger but has some good utility to it, only downfall is that it only has an 1/8 headphone jack, so that means.... adapters. :( otherwise I give it a thumbs up.

4. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
  5. Cafe Walter all the way $169 at Bass Northwest... fantastic sounding. I really disliked the Fodera unit... very easy to clip the input with an active bass and aggressive playing.... the Cafe Walter is clean no matter what input.... fantastic unit.

6. Ben Vail

Ben Vail

Jul 29, 2005
    Los Angeles
    well my main axe is a fretless passive bass :p - but if you liked the Cafe Walter over the Fodera, maybe I'll look into it

7. I guess overdriving the input would not be a problem:) I actually do like the Cafe Walter better all the way around. It's a very simple unit, and just amplifies the signal... very clean and precise.... makes my basses sound similar to them coming out of my very clean sounding rig. And, from $169 with power supply, that's a pretty good deal. I would assume a decent pair of headphones helps also. I'm using Boss TriPorts... I know the audiophile guys don't like them a lot, but they have very nice bass response and are very light.

The Cafe Walter runs either on AC or two 9 volts. I'm about 15 hours into the 9 volts, and they are still going strong. Very nice!

8. Had a Scolz Bass Rockman once. Sounded good in the 80,s.
    Maybe it is still OK.

9. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    That Korg Pandora has my attention.

10. those Korgs are nice. I have a PXR4, it's a walkman-sized mini digital recorder. Full of amp models and effects, drum tracks, etc. The effects are so nice - I have used it in practice in the signal path of my rig. It's too awkward to use like that live, but it is a quality unit. Look around, you may find one cheap used. Mine was $50 at Guitar Center on one of their big crazy sales.

11. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I use my EBS MBII :)

12. Ben Vail

Ben Vail

Jul 29, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I don't need all the crazy extra ****. I need a relatively small unit that can fit in a gig bag that produces a good sound that I can plug in headphones and practice on the road, or anywhere.

The whole point is practicing conveniently, quitley, anywhere, with it available to me in my gig bag, all the time.

13. Ben Vail

Ben Vail

Jul 29, 2005
    Los Angeles
    That's more of the simplicity I am looking for, but it seems like the sound quality wouldn't be too great - at all. Have you used one before?

14. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I have one.

It's not the best bass tone on the planet - but it sounds pretty good and gets the job done at a reasonable price, and it's really small.

15. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Put me down for the Cafe Walter also. This thing is great... really clean sound.

If you're budget is tight, the Pockit Rockit is a decent alternative. IMO, it colors the sound and is a little noisy, but it's got a decent aux-in to jam along with whatever you need to. I don't really care for the distortion or the chorus, but it does the job. The new stuff from Pocket Rockit (actually CTech), is more expensive, but adds a built-in metronome and tuner. Supposedly it sounds better, but I've never tried it.

16. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Yeah - I forgot about the aux in. That works well.

I have a cigarette lighter sized MP3 player, and I send that into the Rockit.

17. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    You can literally plug and play without reading the manual. It's as easy or complex as you want it to be. I think it sounds great for what it is.

And once you've got a groove down, why wouldn't you want to play along to some really decent drum tracks? :)

18. Ben Vail

Ben Vail

Jul 29, 2005
    Los Angeles
    So far the Cafe Walter sounds the best to me. The money isn't a terrible problem, but the Fodera retailed at 400 bucks and selling for as low as 250 seemed a bit overpriced for what I needed.

What kind of headphones you guys using on your Cafe Walters? Gotta get a clean low end.

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I used a Pocket Rockit for a long time. Once I checked out the Cafe Walter, I ditched the PR. He builds each one by hand with the help of his wife.

Go for the Cafe Walter. The customer service is top notch, not that you will ever need it though.

-Mike