Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pro advice

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Beach Blues, Feb 14, 2003.

1. Would like advice on the Fender Victor Bailey. 1)Is it worth the money. 2) how does high end wood hold up over time. I am picking the bass back up after 20 years of not playing and want to do it right the first time. I have the money to do it right just want to make a good long term desicion. I am getting back in as a hobby but you never know. I turn 40 this weekend and feel like life has just begun. Thanks for the input.

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    hi Beach Blues,

I'm sorry to say that I'm not in a position to answer your questions having neither played the Victor Bailey signature bass, nor having done any study into 'high end wood' - I'm not even sure how you'd categorise such a thing.

I will state the obvious by saying that any bass you buy should be on the merits of that bass, not the label on the headstock, signature or otherwise...

you'll have better luck asking in the 'basses' forum for the first question, and the 'luthiers' forum for the second.

Here, we tend to be dealing with questions relating to solo bass playing/more obscure approaches to the instrument and questions relating to new ways of studying the bass, employing it in non standard settings, improvising etc...

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk