1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pro Co Fat Rat or Idiotbox Blower Box

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Phyzzbin, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Phyzzbin

Phyzzbin

Aug 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'm thinking BB but haven't heard any demos with the Fat Rat on bass. :bookworm:
    Anyone with experience with both? :woot:
    Do both play well with active basses? :cautious:
    Thanks everybody! :thumbsup:

2. Phyzzbin

Phyzzbin

Aug 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hmm. Maybe I should just stick with the distortion in the Grizzly Bass. It is a good one. Very amp-like.
    Kinda wanted some different flavor tho. Liked the old Rats but never owned one. Liked the BB demos when it came out. Almost pulled the trigger several times. Tried the MXR BD. Liked it a lot. I see why it get a lot of love. Way too out front for me and couldn't dial it back. Folks kept talking about how the BB dials back. Does the FR do the same?

3. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    My favorite Rat variant is the @dunwichamps Volt Thrower. Glorious touch sensitive overdrive on no clipping.

Matt Dean and dunwichamps like this.
  4. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    And amazingly enough they are actually in stock at Dunwich. I freaking love this pedal.

Matt Dean and dunwichamps like this.
  5. Phyzzbin

Phyzzbin

Aug 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Labor Day Sale at Reverb!!! :woot:
    BB on it's way!!! :hyper:

Fuzzbass, zapped777, millahh and 2 others like this.
  6. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I personally like the Blower Box and Fuzzrocious Rat/Cat Tail the best of all I've tried. I haven't tried the Fat Rat though. I've heard it's not really worth it. Any ProCo I've ever tried, while sounding awesome, was terrible with low end retention. But since you have a blower box coming, I think you'll be very pleased. The BB is way awesome and the low end is strong and super fat. Plus it rips like crazy too so you have that as well. Let us know what you think of it when you get some time!

Phyzzbin and rratajski like this.
  7. Phyzzbin

Phyzzbin

Aug 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Will do, my friend.

8. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    You will LOVE the Blowerbox!

zapped777, That Coyote and Phyzzbin like this.
  9. Phyzzbin

Phyzzbin

Aug 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Got my BB on Friday! Got to play with it a bit today. Still fiddlin' … So far…

10. Phyzzbin

Phyzzbin

Aug 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hmm… :bookworm:
    Plusses: Awesome distortion!!! As aggressive as it can get, it's very tube-like and musical. Tone control and distortion range is HUGE! Way more than expected. Love the bass/treble controls' interaction. Solid construction. Can't believe the price per performance. Most def an overachiever!!! :hyper:
    Minuses: Very touchy with active basses and mine are all active. I loves me my EBMM fivers! FWIW, I've had this issue with other pedals. Pretty confident of a workaround. :D
    Sounds great on its own but I run cleans and dirties separately with a Badger Schism XV. Because my Boogie WA is already mid-heavy, I've gotten very good results cascading it into a dirty Grizzly Bass with a little Funkulator to attenuate mids a bit and added clean.
    HUGE!!! Gonna play with it more… :bassist::bassist::bassist:

Fuzzbass likes this.
  11. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    It's a downside of actives and RAT-related circuits. That dip out on the input gain can be hard to work around. Try playing with the distortion level lower or lowering the input gain from your instrument. Idiotbox is tried and true. Hope you find a workaround.

12. Phyzzbin

Phyzzbin

Aug 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks for the heads up rratajski.
    Got some more tweaking done today. My best result so far is cascading it into a somewhat dirty CAL Grizzly Bass with a touch of the Funkulator circuit to cut the mids slightly.
    Grizzly: Gain: 3:30; OD: 2:00; Dist.: Off; Funkulator: 4:00; LP: Off
    BB: Level: noon; Dist.: Noon; Highs: 7:00; Lows: 11:30.
    In other words, running the BB into a slightly scooped, dirty amp and blending with the clean signal. It's still pretty sensitive but I feel the Grizzly is compressing it a bit and taking some of the active edge off. I'd usually run my fuzz thru a dirty amp (now the Grizz) anyway. Like I said, my Boogie is already mid-heavy so YMMV.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  13. JamasC

JamasC

Sep 2, 2014
    Nashville
    I run my BB through an mxr 81+ with just the preamp section on with the color on. The mxr scoops mids with the color so I just boost mids. It takes the edge off of the BB and sounds huge.

Phyzzbin likes this.
  14. Phyzzbin

Phyzzbin

Aug 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yessir. Sounds similar to what I'm trying to accomplish here.

zapped777 likes this.
  15. Phyzzbin

Phyzzbin

Aug 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Back after some more messing around… Settings change with my Mesa WA Scout and active EBMM's. :bookworm:
    Still cascading into the Grizzly with some mids cut. Bass & Treble almost off, about 7:00. Distortion 9:00 & 11:00 depending on the amount of gain desired. Level to unity depending on the distortion setting.
    rratajski is correct! Lower gain and overall settings help keep the active buzz down and open her up. Thanks, man! :thumbsup:
    Yessir, I still like it. I like it a lot! :D

Fuzzbass and rratajski like this.
  16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021