Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pro Co- Rat or Juggernaut?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nick man, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I did a search but didnt find a direct comparisson of the two and really no reviews of the Juggernaut other than initial reviews from months ago.

I know I like the Rat, but Im not sure if the Rats Ive heard (never played, only seen bands use them) were modified or not.

Im wondering how you guys think the Juggernaut compares to the Rat- both modded and unmodded if possible.

Also, whats the difference between the Vintage Rat and the Rat 2 tonewise?

Im looking for full on, kill your grandmother, little babies,... scratch that, kill pitbulls and big bad*** tough guys style distortion.

Im this close || to buying a Rat of some sorts. Help me out.

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Bump da bump because you know you have info I can use. ;)

3. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Try the MXR M-80 Bass DI+. If you want distortion (and not overdrive) that pedal will do what you describe, and a lot more.

Ted

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I have tried it and the Rat is much heavier sounding IME.

5. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    The rat is an O/D though- if you want an O/D it works fine, but the MXR is a distortion- much more crunch and much less fuzz.

I guess it all depends on you definition of "heavy" is.

Ted

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    It might be called an overdrive, but in my mind there is nothing louder and ruder.

Listen to:

Blur- Song 2
    Nirvana- Breed, Endless Nameless, Turnaround
    pretty much any Coliseum song

Ive tried the MXR and know it doesnt get as heavy as I want. Besides, Im asking for a comparisson of the Rat and Juggernaut, not for other pedals.

7. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    No problem- I'll bow out of your thread. I only have experience with the Rat and find it doesn't have the crunch and definition of the MXR (which IMO is what "heavy" is all about) but has more of a "fuzz" sound.

Ted

8. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The bass player from the great costa mesa band "Smile" also used a Rat the few times I saw them live. A great grinding full-bore sound with a J bass and a mesa 2x15. It was the loudest sound I've ever experienced and one of the best!

Big Muffs are kinda cool too, more compressed and almost violin-like. Like Billy Corgan's guitar sounds.

Its best if you can find some way to blend in some clean bass with the distorted mids and top.

9. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I have experience with the Turbo Rat, Rat 2, and Vintage Rat, but not the Juggernaut.

Vintage Rat I've only heard on guitar. It's maybe a little smoother than the Rat 2. I've read an interview with the designer of the Rat--he said that the addition of the LED indicator in the Rat 2 changed the sound a bit. Also there have been changes in the chips over the years--apparently Rats made in the last 2 years or so just don't sound the same. I read that on Robert Keeley's site, but I haven't actually heard the new ones myself.

Rat 2 and Turbo Rat sound similar, except the Turbo Rat has considerably more gain. If you've ever heard jazz guitarist John Scofield, that's kind of the classic Rat 2 sound--spiky but warm, singing yet controlled. They both sound good on bass but there's a fine line between righteous grind and indistinct buzz. I believe there's a capacitor installed on all Rats (that can be changed/removed) that limits bass response to decrease mushiness.

Haven't tried the Juggernaut. Between its high price and the bad reviews it got here when first introduced, I'd be a little wary.

If you like the Rat flavor, you might want to try the Ibanez/Maxon SD-9 Sonic Distortion. It was designed to be a cross between a Rat and a Big Muff, and I think they hit the nail on the head. It's my favorite distortion for guitar; I think it sounds much better than the way-overrated Tube Screamer, which adds all kinds of midrange junk to your signal.