Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pro Co Rat?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dave_clark69, Feb 2, 2004.

1. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    I have heard many great things about this pedal. What i was wondering was- Does this pedal do the same amount of justice for a bass guitar, because i have considered buying one.

Thanks for the help

2. DeCayING

DeCayING

Jun 2, 2003
    Kentucky
    I also have considered buying one. Krist Novoselic (bassist fr. Nirvana) used the Pro Co Rat on the following songs:

Endless, Nameless
    Breed
    Turnaround
    ...that's all I know of, but listen to the basslines and they sound pretty good.

3. my friend has one for his guitar...it sounds cool.

4. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    a lot of bass players use rats. they are good. but i would suggest buying an eq with it to boost the loss of low end.

5. other bassplayers who uses it are
    kim gordon(sonic youth)
    justin C (tool)
    tony kanal(no doubt)
    but i think all those guys´n´girls are splitting the signal in the studio so that they get a clean signal with all the bass intact and one signal from the RAT.
    it do sounds good but to my personal taste loses abit too much bass, but works fine if u want more of a guitarlike sound.

6. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    Thanks for the help guys. I had thought of the problem with a cut-bass. I have found schematics for one, so i think i will alter it to have XTRA-BASS. Cheers guys

7. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I use a rack mount ratt (it's called an R2DU - really two separate ratts) - which I like because I biamp and can choose to distort either the highs or lows....or both. ;)

8. I like a RAT for guitar (used to have one). For bass it kinda sucks out to much low-end imo. So an extra EQ could be useful.
    Otherwise you could get that nice modded RAT from Keeley Electronics (it doesn't suck out the low-end).

For what I've read about the Juggernaut: stay away from it.