PRO+CONTRA on gauge (plus other question)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by The Artist, Sep 21, 2003.

1. About a month ago I got hevier gauge strings (45-105) coz I thught they might last longer.
    What are the ups and downs of the different gauges?

#2 Since I have the heavier gauge my neck has bent slightly froward (not visualy noticable) but there is a bigger gap between the fretboard and the strings. Is there anything REALLY bad about that (except that I have to push down harder and if I don't I get fretbuzz)?

(yeah, yeah I know, I'm stupid)

Thanks for your help
  2. I play "Elites" (nickel plated, roundwound, long scale) <-(what are the differeces there?)
    Any one heard of them? Should I keep on playing/buying them?
    I think there ok, but I've also never played any other, eccept for the ones my bass came with.
  3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I don't think heavier strings last longer. The difference I've noticed is that a heavier gauge of the same brand tends to have a stronger attack, and the lighter strings sound smoother and deeper. It's a pretty subtle difference, though.

Elites seem to be pretty well thought of. I've only tried the stainless Elites, so I can't comment on the nickels. Elites are almost impossible to find in the USA.
  4. Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    Heavy strings require more tension to tune to pitch. Taught strings can typically be played more aggressively with less fret noise. If your an aggressive pick player I'd guess that they'd work pretty good for that.
    Light gauge strings take less tension to tune to pitch so they're more flexible. I think that they play easier with less energy required to fret notes than the heavier gauges. Great for playing lots of notes quickly and for executing walking lines fingerstyle.

Its more of a preference thing than a "one is better than the other" thing. Either gives players a choice to enjoy what works best for them.

As to the bow in your neck, that is typical of what happens when more tension is applied. It is usually necessary to adjust the truss rod a bit when changing string gauges. So simply adjust the rod yourself or have someone else do it for you if you're not comfortable with it.