1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pro Football Player sends 100 kids to college

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by IotaNet, Jun 9, 2011.

1. That's awesome.

If only all of them were as generous!

2. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I really love stories like this! It's great to hear something positive for a change

3. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    Sounds nice, but I'll reserve judgement until the kids are enrolled and the tuition is actualy paid.

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Ironically, athletes can be like cops in that the good they do often gets little notice.

5. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    That's great. I hope it isn't wasted on students who don't realize what they've been given or waste it by not working hard to STAY in school.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Indeed. So much of this goes on with pro athletes, yet all most people care to mention is the perceived overinflated salaries and trouble the others come across.

Nice gesture Braylon.

-Mike

7. That's one of the reasons I'm so impressed by this. He didn't just write checks carte blanche. All of these kids were a part of a structured program his foundation created, called "Advance 100."

According to his website ...

"The Braylon Edwards Foundation launched the Advance 100 program in 2007 as a commitment to the youth of Cleveland. The program includes $1 million in academic scholarships to the Cleveland Municipal School District (CMSD). Students in the program have been provided with mentoring, tutoring and “life skills” workshops. Participants are required to maintain a grade point average of 2.5 or better and to accumulate at least 15 hours of community service each year, while displaying exemplary citizenship and conduct. "

That means that these kids have had to demonstrate commitment to bettering themselves as a condition of receiving the scholarships.

IMO, while it doesn't guarantee a positive result, it certainly improves the odds and sets them up for success.

8. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Dang! I couldn't stand Edwards up till now. Very cool move, I must admit.

9. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Nice gesture. Although he is not 2nd or even 3rd most hated man in C-town. Lebron is #1, 2, & 3.