Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pro grade Xwire alternative

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Kurt M., Aug 3, 2005.

1. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    Hey,

Looking for a recommendation on a pro grade wireless for bass. I have been using the Xwire and it no longer works. Company is out of business and I can't get it repaired. I'm looking for a strong recommendation on a pro grade piece of equipment not Guitar Center cheapies!

Thanks all.

Kurt

2. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Everyone in Dave Matthews Band uses Shure U4D-(UB) wireless systems. Most expensive thing on the Shure website, so can't be all that bad!! :)

3. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    Yeah I guess it's a no brainer to buy a $2400 wireless! I actually spoke with Geno at Shure and he feels that their lower line wireless systems sound every bit as good as the U4 but lack some of the features. I'm deciding between the SLX and the ULX at the moment. Hopefully it will work out.

Thanks for the feedback.

4. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF

Hahaha, glad to help out!!

Did he specify really which options that the others were lacking?? I know the U4D is a dual-channel unit, but I'm not sure what else is different. Make sure and write up a nice review whichever one you go with!!

5. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Check into Sabine's SWM-700 series. It's even compliant with all international regulations, and I managed to get about 75 yards away before the unit started to cut out, and this was with my line of sight blocked. The built-in compression, gain, and feedback reduction were excellent on vocals, guitar, and bass. Great unit.

6. Louse

Louse

Aug 15, 2005
    Has anyone had experience with the EV RE-1? The ads are all saying that it is the only wireless with a freq. response down to 30 Hz. I am currently in the market for a decent wireless and could use all the info anyone has to offer.

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Excellent point. The #1 consideration in a professional-use wireless should be the low end of the frequency response. Most of them cut out too much of the lows, designed more for guitars than basses. Check the stats before you buy.