Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pro-Jason Newsted forum

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Gingerfish727, Jun 24, 2001.

1. Les Claypool

14 vote(s)
    25.9%
  2. Mike Inez

11 vote(s)
    20.4%
  3. Kris Novoselic

7 vote(s)
    13.0%
  4. Brian Marshall

5 vote(s)
    9.3%
  5. me(Jason Caywood)

6 vote(s)
    11.1%
  6. other(please explain)

11 vote(s)
    20.4%
  1. Jason Newsted is a very good bassist who needs more credit for his work.He never really was given a chance to show much of his talent with Metallica due to the controlling nature of James and Lars.I have no problem with James.Lars had a decent view on the Napster deal,but alienating your fans is no way to go about it.Anyway,back to Jason,his solos on Live **** and Cunning Stunts shows flashes of his talent.Cliff was a good musician,one of the best if you ask me,but I also prefer some class with the musicians I choose.He has the best attitude I have ever seen from a musician.Kudos to Cliff,but drugs don't really do alot for personallity.Jason was a fan favorite for his devotion to them.He has always been my favorite member because of that.I am glad he left Metallica.I would like to see Kris Novoselic join Metallica.Call me crazy,but I think he'd be a perfect fit for them.At least the average Metalica heighth would be closer to 6 feet if he did join.I hope I have not offended someone in writing this.I just wanted to give some credit where credit is due.

2. brian marshall b/c he's pretty good. Maybe he'd bring some good playing to MetallicA. Les would be blah with metallica.

3. Joe R

Joe R

Nov 4, 2000
    Wenatchee WA. USA
    I read an interview with Jason on KNAC.com that he thinks its either going to be Joey Vera (armored Saint) or Mike Inez (Ozzy), He said they want someone who's playing they know and Joey & Mike fit the bill, But i heard Bob Rock is playing bass on the album they are working on, I didnt even know he played Bass.

4. Lazy

Lazy

May 30, 2001
    Vancouver BC
    I think they'll have to get someone who doesn't mind not having any creative input for the band!!
    I heard somewhere that the guy from Phish was gonna play for them, but it was probably BS!

5. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Here's my two-cents: From the moment I first heard/saw "One," I decided I had to find out more about the band known as Metallica. Over the years, I started picking up tapes, CDs, posters, magazines, etc. and before I knew it, I had a collection of rare (mostly out-of-print) memorabilia honoring my metal heroes. I have been to countless concerts and spent countless dollars on their merchandise. I have turned several people on to Metallica and what they wrote about and stood for. I have read almost everything there was to read about them and even inscribed their birthdates on my bedroom wall of my parents' house (they're still there). I think you get the point -- I was their biggest fan.
    When the "black album" came out, I stuck with them. When "Load" came out, I was a little weary, but I still stuck with them. When "Reload" came out, my disappointment with them started to show, but I still purchased both "Garage, Inc." and "S&M" before I had heard any of the songs. My opinion of them finally went down the dumper with the Napster situation. In my opinion, it seemed that James, Lars, Jason and Kirk -- four of the coolest guys in my book, had become overly greedy and were more concerned with fattening their wallets than pleasing their fans -- the fans that made them what they were. I was extremely disappointed in Jason's decision to leave, but I was even more disappointed in Metallica's decision to continue on without him. I think they are trying desperately to hang on to something that escaped their grasp a long, long time ago. That is my opinion on this subject -- guys, let Metallica rest.

6. I'd like to say that I really have no hard feelings toward Kirk,James,and Jason.Jason needed to quit before Metallica corrupted him.James could care less about the Napster situation.Provided he doesn't have to pay for his illegitimate children,he's a very rich man.Kirk is the cool,laid back,and probably the most reasonable member left.Lars is a money hungry capitalist pig who could give a rats ass about the fans as long as he can get ****loads of money.The only reason James,Kirk,and Jason(who seldomly spoke about the issue),ever acted like they gave a **** about it was because they still credit Lars and his connections for getting them where they are today.If they seperated,Lars would keep the Metallica name(seeing as he "came up with it")(more like somebody let him use it after they made it).The name METALLICA could sell more than a solo outing by James or Kirk or both,so they are staying with the group.After all,James and Kirk,I believe,both have a wife and kids each.I would almost put up with Lars Ulrich to ensure my child's chances of having a better life.But that's just me.I will say one positive thing about Lars.I totally agree with what he did on July 7th,2000 at the Summer Sanitarium Tour Date in Atlanta,GA.James missed the concert due to back problems,and Lars awarded a free make-up date for every stub-holder in the building.That was a very kind idea.Thats about the ONLY one he's ever had.Unless he proves me wrong,which I highly doubt.

7. I'd never have thought of Krist Novoselic as a repalcement for Newstad, but now that its been mentioned i think its a good idea. The guy has done next to bugger all since Kurt's death, so its not as if he'd be missing out by joining a band in which he would be turned down in the mix and have no musical input.

8. sn0wblind

sn0wblind

Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada

First of all , load and reload were origionally going to be a double album, (not that it matters).

Most importantly, THEY A FRIGGIN ROCK BAND!!!!!! OF COURSE THEY WANT MORE MONEY!!!! EVERY ROCK BANDS WANTS MORE MONEY. iF I WAS A ROCK BAND i'D WANT TO KEEP MY MORE AND GETR MORE OF IT.

I love EVERY album Metallica has put out, and will continue to purchase their next albums( unless they start to rap).

Gene Simmons (KISS) said on the Howard Stern show that "Every bands wants more money, it's all about the money, if they say it's not then they are liars" I totally agree becuase KISS are the masters at making money, (THEY HAVE A FRIGGING CASKET THAT YOU CAN BE BURIED IN THAT HAS THE KISS LOGO/SIGNATURES ON IT, IT ALSO DOUBLES AS A COOLER FOR REFRESHMENTS!!!!!!!!)
    I personally dont htink any band should carry on the name, if a person dies or leaves. Cliff was the most important songwriter in Metallica and they should of changed the name when cliff died.

ITS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY!!!!!

9. Of all the names that have been mentioned Brian Marshall is my favorite bassist, but considering Metallica's reputation for barely audible bass I don't think it will make too much of a difference who it is.

10. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Originally posted by sn0wblind
    First of all, load and reload were origionally going to be a double album, (not that it matters).
    You're right, it doesn't matter. This nugget has little to do with my post.

Also posted by snOwblind
    Cliff was the most important songwriter in Metallica...
    This is obviously opinion, not fact. Although Cliff was an excellent bassist and did introduce a lot of new ideas and styles to the band, I would hardly say he was the most important songwriter. You think James needs someone else to write for him?

11. sn0wblind

sn0wblind

Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada
    My opinions are facts. :p :)

12. Cliff the most important songwriter? I think not. After checking Kill em All and Master Puppets, Cliff didn't write any songs for Kill em All, and he wrote 3 songs on Master of Puppets! I don't have Ride the Lightning so I can't say how many are on that.

and how are your opinions called facts? They aren't.

You sir, are an idiot.

13. Cliff was a very good musician.James was and sometimes can still be a good songwriter,Kirk is an awesome Lead player,we all know how I feel toward Lars,and snOwblind got put in his place.Thank you jrthebassguy.

14. anytime, ;)

15. sn0wblind

sn0wblind

Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada

(I'm pretty sure he has song writing credits on KILL 'EM ALL, and RIDE THE LIGHTNING( but I cant find my CD's) so here's a couple facts( they might not be much but who cares...)

1.Lars said in an interview that Cliff never would of let the "Black" album happen....

2. Cliff even has a songwriting credit on ...And Justice for All ( to live is to die) , and the dude was dead before they even started writing songs for that album.
    Cliff WAS the driving force behind Metallica

IF I can think of more i'll be back!!!!!

P.S.- I'm goning to check out a Metallica site(a good one) for Cliff's song credits...

16. I've always felt that any bassist who would unashamedly wear a Sepultura shirt, on stage, while playing for a mainstream band like Metallica, was an awesome fellow.

17. sn0wblind

sn0wblind

Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada
    Okay so eating my words is not so fun..... :D

METALLICA had 3/4 of KILL 'EM ALL wrote before Cliff joined and he has 1 song credit on that album.(Anesthesia-Pulling Teeth).

Cliff has credits to 6 out of 8 songs on Ride The Lightning : Fight Fire With Fire
    Ride The Lightning
    For Whom The Bell Tolls
    Fade To Black
    Creeping Death
    Call Of Ktulu

and only three on Master Of Puppets:
    Master Of Puppets
    Orion
    Damage Inc.

OKay,okay, my words are tasting rather sour... :D

I know James has song credits to all the songs, but I still Fell Cliff was the best part of Metallica, and I think Cliff Burton and Dave Mustaine is the best guitar/bass combo ever!!!

P.S. get your facts straight. I'm 3/4 idiot and 1/4 moron!! :D

18. sn0wblind

sn0wblind

Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada
    How the hell did a "Pro Jason Forum" turn into a Cliff forum.........

....There you have it Cliff stealing Jason's thunder again... :D

P.S. - Jason is a superb bassist

19. MattK

MattK

Jun 20, 2001
    atlanta , GA
    Marshall isnt playing bass on the new album, james is doing it and dave mustaine sucks....they kicked him out for a reason

20. Jodaka

Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    i am a big fan of jason. he provided a nice bottom-end to a band that used to be great. as for the jason vs. cliff debate, it is apples and oranges. jason was better at being melodic, while cliff is better at delivering neck injuries. cliff was great at what he did, and metallica would have never recorded the black album with cliff still in the band, not to mention crap and re-crap (i don't think i have to mention that i don't care for post-black album metallica). as for jason, (i think he quit before lars and james started breaking out the piano ballads) he is also good at what he does. i'd like to see what he does next...