Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pro or BSP?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MrFortuneCookie, Nov 20, 2001.

1. What do you guys think, to get an SVP-Pro or SVP-BSP?

2. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Buddy, you have major insecurities. if you do a search, you would find that I did a post just like that a month or so ago, when I was insecure about what preamp I was going to get. I'm not insecure anymore. But don't worry, I don't blame you for being insecure, I blame your insecurity for making you feel insecure about having an insecurity about getting a positive idea due to your insecureness, for your preamp. Did I confuse you yet with my repetitous use of insecurity? If not, you must be pretty insecure with yourself.

3. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    yea... didn't the three of us have this same discussion a few weeks ago? I remember talking about how the BSP was just like two SVP's but not as good etc... anyway.. i think you should get the SVP. Unless you really need to be able to switch from distortion to clean really quickly, i think the SVP is better in every other aspect.

4. I actually tried to look up the old one, couldn't find it. So i figured start from the begining. Also, the other reason i ask is this, i can get a used BSP for 350, or a new Pro for 450, so which should i do in that case too?

5. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    well, clearly the answer is the Pro. I can get the Pro for 300 new at GC down here in FL. The BSP, as Falsehood has elaborated on many times, is just half-assed. the sound is not as good as the BSP. the Pro is much better. but again it comes down to what your needs are, mono or stereo.

6. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    if it were me i'd spend the extra $100... but incase you forgot the earlier thread here goes..

Billy Sheenan helped design the BSP... its pretty much 2 seperate preamp channels.. one clean and one distorted.. because he used to play with two SVT heads.. one clean, and one with the gain cranked

If one had unlimited resources.. the best thing to do would be to buy 2 SVP's... and overdrive one while leaving the other nice and clean... but assuming you're not rich.. and you have to buy one preamp... i suggest getting the Pro.. it will get you better clean and distorted sounds than the BSP, but it just can't switch between them too ealisly, as the BSP can.

in short... BSP will give you two eaisly switchable decent sounds, SVP will give you one really nice sound.

EDIT: both are capable of going stereo, but the SVP will give you the same signal from both sides.. only useful if you have an external effects thing going on.

7. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    sorry, thats what I was thinking, Falsehood. your right.