Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pro quality 5 string basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by count_funkula, May 9, 2002.

1. I'm going to be purchasing a new bass soon and I need some suggestions. I've got about $1,500 to spend and I want a professional quality bass that will work well in a church setting.

At the top of the list right now is the Warwick BO Thumb V. I would really like a Modulus Q5 but I think they are well outside my price range.

What are some other basses I should look at?

Thanks

2. Yo, I see Quantum 5's selling used for around $1500 or less. Quite a few were going for around $1200-$1300 on eBay last month. Those are good basses that are very versatile. I'd also recommend a Reverend bass--you could buy a couple of them for $1500, but I know that some people aren't into the looks. The Dingwall Afterburner also sells for $1500 or less. All good ones to look into, and I'm sure there will be quite a few mentions of the Cirrus.

3. I dont think you should discount the Modulus just yet; good buys come up once in a while. That said, I don't think you could get a new one for that price.

I say go FBB. A custom made 5-string will start at 1100 bucks, complete with Bart pickups, ABM bridge, 5-piece neck of your desired shape and 2 octave fingerboard, among other features.

FBB Site

I have a massive craving for an FBB. I am just learning to play however. My first 5 (and next bass) will almost certainly be an MTD Kingston or Saratoga.

4. depends on the sound you want....I would play all of them before you buy...the Modulus is a different animal because of the graphite neck...I would look at the Streamer LX also, you can get one used for about 1200. Very good bass. Also try and find a Pedulla

5. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
  6. Yeah, how is that working out? I've got a hankerin' for a 5-stringer with an ash body, maple fingerboard, and Bart X5s.

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i got my warwick ss2 for $1500.

NT warwicks are one of the best used buys out there.

8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    You can get a mint Q5 used for 1500. IF you have to pay a little more, it is worth it.

I cashed in two nice basses to buy my Q5, and I use it exactly as you mentioned.

The tone is so fat yet focused. clarity from the bottom of the B to the 24th fret on the G. Wow.

For R&B and contemporary stuff, I can't imagine anything better.

The only bass I have ever heard in our church that I thought sounded as good was a Ken Smith neck through.

I would seriously look into a Modulus as an option.

Chas

9. Yep, i would reccomend Warwicks, i reccomend Streamer LX 5s cos i got one, also Thumbs cos i have played em. What about a MM Stingray 5, or is that not pro-quality. I think they are outstanding basses.

sim

10. Peter :

Level 5 is working out good, i'm very happy with it. Very well balanced. I have a korina body with a maple / maple neck and Basslines. After playing Washburns and a frankenfender - it is amazingly ligth.

Run it flat most of the time and the wide but thin neck makes it easy to play. No significant noise. Great range of tones and its very "present" in the mix.

Matt was great about it too - this particular guitar was a consignment piece in a guitar store in Pa and was originally assembled as a fretless. I saw it online and asked if he would put a fretted maple / maple neck on it. He surprised me by putting on a birdseye board - it's pretty sweet.

11. Devnor

Devnor

Nov 13, 2001
    Dallas TX
    You might try a used Lakland Classic 55-94. Used they are about 1400-1500, deluxe models run about 1800 these days. Laklands seem to cut thru the mix more than any other bass I have played.

I just sold my Thumb 6 B/O because my new Lakland is just that good. I couldnt be happier, really. It has a nice balance(my thumb was a neck diver) and diverse tone shaping electronics. However the Warwick was a great bass during the time I had it.

You cant go wrong with a nice Warwick or Modulus.

12. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    There are some great, young luthiers out there. You can easlily get into a handmade 5 string for that kind of money. It might not carry the Fodera or MTD name - but can still be a great bass. Check out www.bassalone.com - John Dimaggio always has some cool stuff in that price range.

Mike

13. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    He sure does!

[​IMG]

14. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    BTW,
    there also seems to be a lot of cool used stuff in that range at www.bassgear.com

15. The Stingray 5 is a really nice bass and sounds great but to my eyes it's dog ugly. I know sound is the most important thing but I still want something I enjoy looking at.(sorry)

The custom option is also a good idea. Only problem is I can't play before I buy.

I forgot about Pedulla, very nice basses. I will check them out again.

I haven't totally given up on Modulus. What about the Modulus Genesis series? I don't hear much about them. I'm not referring to the J-bass clone by the way, I would love to own one but it doesn't suit my needs.

16. I can suggest you check out the Dingwall Afterburner basses. These basses are reviewed in this months BassPlayer magazine.

Great sounding 5-string. Fanned Frets, nice articulate tone across all the strings, and the 37" B-string just kills. Currently they come w/ Bartolini-passives pick-ups, however starting soon they will have standard a Dingwall designed pickup w/ special bluEQube circuitry. A few of us here on the boards have these basses. They run at $1400-1500US w/ a figured maple top.

Also Dingwall used high end basses show up onEBAY for this price. Currently Micheal Rhodes Z2 is on EBAY for $1500.
    IMO Definately a bass worth checking out
    frank

17. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Go with the Quantum 5. Or a Cirrus 5. Or a Spector NS5CRFM. Or a Millenium Plus 5. Or a Warwick (Thumb, SSI or II) neck thru 5. Or a...................................................:D

18. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Check out my web site and my bass page. I've got an MP3 of Maurice Fitzgerald playing MY Cirrus 5. You be the judge.

19. Very nice! Add the Cirrus 5 to my list!