Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pro Quality Wireless

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by brewer9, Mar 8, 2002.

1. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I'm sick of cheap wireless systems that break after a while. I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but i'm not interested in Shure, Audio-Technica, or Nady.

I need a metal (no plastic please!), rackmountable wireless unit. I dont care about price.

Does anyone have any recomendations? I asked at guitar Center about Xwire and they said they were out of business because their technology sucked. Is that true?

Comments please...

2. Are you into home-brewing?

That's probably the only way you'll get the kind of quality you are looking for for less than a second mortgage.

3. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    LOL! No, I'm not into home brewing at all. I love Bud-brewing though. How about you?

How much is a really good system then? Is Sennheiser OK?

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

brewer - Have you looked at a Samson/Airline Concert IV system??? A guitarist and myself haven't had any problems. He's had his for quite some time. I paid around $220 + shipping.

I always thought the Sennheiser Xwire would be a step up, considering the price.

5. LowRanger

LowRanger

Dec 24, 2000
    YMMV, but I had the Sennheiser for a couple days. Long enough to know that it stripped all the low end from my signal before sending to the amp! At 1/2 the price, my "Shure Guitarist" sounds much better.

The new Shure ULX series looks interesting, but you're going to pay ~$1K I think.

AFAIK, Xwire went out of business due to the way they were managing their business, not because of the technology. I've heard nothing but great things about the X-Wire units themselves.

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

You're right, LowR, they did. The reason I referred to them as "Sennheiser XWire" is because Sennheiser bought them out. The word I got is that Sennheiser put out their own version of the Xwire but it has some spec differences I'm not up on (lower bit rate or something).

http://www.toursupply.com/products.htm may still have some Xwires, last I heard.

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have been using a Sennheiser Evolution series UHF wireless unit for over a year. No problems at all. All-metal reciever, all-metal transmitter. Seems to be built like a tank. Has never let me down, so it might be something you would want to look into.

8. check out the sennheiser evolution digital 1000 wireless. this thing is great. transmitter is all metal, case is plastic. the antenna's are internal. you can put external antenna's on, but you probably don't need them. it's half rack size so you'd need an adapter kit, but this is what i do. i have velcro on the top of my rack case and the bottom of the reciever. trust me, it ain't going anywhere. you only have 4 channels to choose from, but because it's digital as opposed to analog, there's no problem with interference. i think i paid around $450 for mine from american musical supply. the frequency response goes down to 20 hertz. clear as bell. good luck!!!

9. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    What are the frequency ranges I should look for again? (I know its been posted before but I cant find it by searching without reading about 1000 pages - well OK maybe not 1000, but a lot!).

10. if i remember, the low end should be around 20 hertz. some go to 30 or 40 hertz. don't worry about the upper end, it's not relevant. i think they're around 20k hertz

11. BassPlayerGush

BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    PA
    i work for a television studio, especially in the area of audio. my teacher once told me something that i will never forget...

"A million dollar wireless system will never be as good as an XLR!"

Well in this case, replace the XLR with a a quarter inch mono cable. Agree, or not, i think he's right.

12. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    That may be true but your forgetting the benefit that is being sought by using a wireless. Cables get wrapped up around my ankles, caught on lighting rigs and twisted around other people's cables.

13. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Which model number are you using?

14. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    The 100. Paid about $450 for it. I believe it is the cheapest of the Evolution series, but it works like a dream. My Shure used to go crazy from the dimmer packs on the lighting system, whereas this thing has never emitted so much as a crackle. It has never cut out, and it sounds great. I am not sure on the frequency response right off hand, but I don't really go by that anyway, I go by what my ears (and my bandmates') hear. A/B-ing with a cord, I can tell virtually no noticeable difference in sound, and no loss in low end.

4 switchable channels, with over 1200 programmable frequencies. And like I said, both the transmitter and the reciever are all metal, which is something that I really like. Half rack space, but it requires the rack kit which is not included. I keep saying I am going to buy the rack kit, but I have it mounted on a rack tray right now, and it works just fine.

Hope this helps
    Ryan

15. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I was also checking into this topic a few months ago. The low end frequency response is an inportant issue, particularly if you play a 5 string with a low B. You should make sure that the wireless system goes down to 20-30 hz. Many systems only go down to 60 hz. These specs are usually listed on the spec page which can typically be found in an Adobe PDF file at most manufacturer's web sites.

16. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    This is great! Thanks everyone. I talked to Tour Supply about the Xwire. They have a great deal available but its a 2-space rackmount. I only have room for a one-space. I think I'll check out that Sennheiser.