Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pro Sports - the unpopular ones.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    what are you all into besides the usual, like NFL, NBA, MLB... to some extent the NHL :smug:

I was watching lacrosse the other day, and then the WRC Germany rally later that same night. Seems very few people like that here. All of it was on the far reaches of the upper cable tv range.

Anyway, what do you like that doesn't get the recognition you think it deserves?

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    MLS

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    very true. It's weird actually.

4. you guys want a really underrated sport? try curling. it has got to be the most fun (non-contact, at least) sport ever invented. it may look silly, but once you get into it, it's just amazing. i am going to try to join a curling club when i move up to Superior, WI for college!

Charlie

5. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I'm really annoyed that there is no professional coverage of REAL folk-style or free-style wrestling...

My son's been wrestling since he was about 9 years old...

Also, I can vouch for Lacrosse... It kicks ass.. It's ice hockey, on a soccer field...

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    As a former wide receiver and cornerback, I'm interested in Track & Field (the sprints). Also, I'm a Manchester United and English football nut. I was in the UK about 15 years ago, when I got on this train. The people had it rocking from side to side, and I asked this guy what the hell was up, and he said, "The lads are gonna play a friendly!". I've been hooked ever since.

7. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Curling is shuffleboard with brooms, right? It actually looks a lot of fun. I push for more lacrosse, badminton, the one where you fly through the air on a motorcycle, and competitive eating. More sports that you can drink and smoke during. Alas, I miss the PBA on ABC.

8. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Shuffleboard, the objective is to get the most points (like a hanger on the corner is worth the most), while in curling you want to have as many as you can on (or nearest to) the button. It's kinda fun.

Lacrosse is Canada's national sport!

9. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

curling is so fun to play. you all have to try it at least once!

10. kind of...basically it's like bowling only instead of knock all the pins down, you have to put the ball on the 5 pin (or the middle of a giant bullseye). only instead of a wussy bowling ball, you get a 45 pound rock!
    its erally not that hard to get the hang of, nothing is very fast in curling, but it isn't slow either!

i will suggest curling to anybody looking for a new sport easily!

http://library.thinkquest.org/26974/e_index.htm?tqskip1=1&tqtime=1115

11. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Lacrosse is awesome.

12. Golf. Yeah, I know I'm crazy. But having tried to play it, I have off-the-charts respect for the pros. To be as consistent as they are is amazing. The other cool thing about it, which differentiates it from almost all other sports, is that there's no team aspect (except for things like the Ryder Cup) -- it's just each player against the course. And something like the final round of the Masters this year is as exciting as any World Series game or Super Bowl I've ever seen.

13. Curling! Boring to watch, fun to play! Oh, and soccer. English premier league, Italian seria A, and everything else.

14. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Pro Beach Volley Ball. All of it, it's a great sport for spectators. Especially live.

Motocross too. I know this is a motorsport but the physcal side of it is very demanding.

15. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Cycling. Not the kind with motors, but bicycle racing. Very interesting to watch, as far as the unwritten rules and customs go...

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Politics.

Players being bought and sold, endorsements, kickbacks, dives, managers, and the least hospitable playing feild I know of. It's a great sport.

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Womens beach volleyball is cool.

18. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Can someone from the US tell me why the hell American football is called football? The only two times that the players foot touches the ball is during kick-off in the beginning/after a goal, and to score that extra point after a touchdown.

Soccer on the other hand, is played with your feet the entire time, except for the goalkeeper of course.

I just cannot understand why you yanks call it football :confused:

19. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    No one knows.