1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Pro Steel longevity issue

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by eriky4003, Dec 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. My daughter was 'voluntold' to follow in her father's footsteps after giving up on piano and then guitar. I told her, next she'll be playing the triangle if she keeps this up;-)!
    About a six weeks ago, I replaced the strings on this short scale bass to a set of D'Addario Pro Steels for short scale basses. I picked up her bass this week and noticed that the zing of these strings is gone. Her bass goes to school once a week in a soft case might be a contributing factor (as well as living in the Great White North) as could her skin Ph.
    Any regular users of Pro Steels - does six weeks of zing seem normal for this string? If this seems normal, I may try a set of DR Hi-Beams next.

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    That is a very long time for any stainless to round wound.

Bassist30, jfh2112 and LiquidMidnight like this.
  3. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    Eh?

Maybe if you really thrash them.

When I first started playing, I used to really dig in, with fingers, heavy picks, and slapping : a set of Rotosound Swing Bass 66 stainless steel round wounds lasted about 3 - 4 months, before the zing was gone.

After about 3 years of playing, my technique became much more refined, with a lighter touch, and greater control over dynamics : from that point onwards, an identical set of Rotosounds can easily stay bright & clear (if not quite a zingy as brand new) for 2 years, with regular use.

BrentSimons and Root 5 like this.
  4. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    Depends what you mean by the zing being gone, are the strings dead or just missing the zing they had initially? When i used to use roundwounds i would buy the cheapest i could get (usually Fenders) and change them every month, that zingy stage is usually pretty short lived.

5. I would say they are dead with not much top end. And, I'm not about to say that she practices that much - maybe about 5 hours a week. I generally practice about 7-8 hours a week and I'm happy with my strings for 2-3 months, if not more. I don't use Pro Steels so I'm hoping some users can chime in. Thx!

6. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Pro Steels are my to-go string. I can usually get about four to five gigs out of a set and then it's time to switch out. I'm a big fan of zing. Accordingly, depending on how much your daughter plays and her body chemistry, dead strings after six weeks is not surprising.

BrentSimons, Solarmist and eriky4003 like this.
  7. steve4765630

steve4765630

Feb 27, 2006
    If you're getting 6 weeks, that's good. The standard nickel XL's last a little longer for me. Different people's hand oil PH can make certain strings last longer than others.

BrentSimons and jfh2112 like this.
  8. They're my go to string as well. For a very long time. Because of they're longevity. I play a ton, live, rehearsals recordings, and my current sets have both been on for months. The initial zing goes away, yes, and 6 wks fer that top end is good. But I love em after the zing leaves. Still very bright, detailed and consistent for a long time. You can remove them, soak them in rubbing or denatured alcohol for an hour or two, swirling them around in the container occasionally, then dry them overnight. They come back to life pretty well. For me. Your mileage may vary, but I've quite a few friends who use em for same reason I do. Longevity.

Phaidrus and eriky4003 like this.
  9. ^ Same here - tried many SS rounds, and for the price you can't do much better. I get about 3-4 weeks of zing by my standards, and I crave "zing", but more than that, there are so many choices in single string sizes & sets. I'm really liking the EPS300 set with the E/A strings being tapered (107T, 85T, 63, 43). I like the slightly beefier E, and a tad lighter D/G which makes for a fairly balanced set.
    They've got a 5er set too (127T, 107T, 85T, 63, 43).

Prosteels are all I use anymore for the sound, price, and they do last a while, still sounding OK for a little longer.

Phaidrus and eriky4003 like this.
  10. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    It depends on what you mean by zing. But 6 weeks of brightness is a good amount of time. I have used them many times - Pro Steels. I find they last. The use and what you want out of a string is debatable and personal to each player. Anthony Jackson played a new set of strings on every single song he recorded. Not by day or week but by song.

eriky4003 likes this.
  11. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Best guesses:
    • Maybe your bass itself has a more zing in it than hers?
    • Maybe her friends are playin it when she takes it to school?
    • Maybe she doesn't wash her hands after her PBJ sammich?
    • Maybe she's more nervous playing than you, and sweats a bit more?
    I agree with the other person too who said 6 weeks will knock the zing out of any strings.

eriky4003 and fretlessguy like this.
  12. Solarmist,
    Thanks for your information and reply. Sadly, the string world for short-scale strings is a lot smaller than for long-scale basses. On the sites I've checked, it's usually only a selection of 5-10 sets/manufacturers.
    Everyone else,
    A lot of different answers to the longevity issue. I have another set on hand but after that I'll be trying DR.
    Thanks all!

13. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    Pro Steels sound great out of the box but when they go, they're gone.

Hi Beams are a good choice, I think - plenty of top end, longer lasting. I like the sound of them generally.

Not sure if they make short scale sets, but worth a look.

eriky4003 likes this.
  14. Thanks, Knumbskull (I must be Canadian, I feel like apologizing to your for your user name)!
    Yes, DR Hi-Beams are available in short scale. The only DR's I've seen. I'd love to get her DR Lo-Riders but no short scales (that I've seen).

Above: Thanks GK Growl, I will check my suppliers for GHS Super Steels. That sounds like my type of string!

knumbskull likes this.
  15. I won't get her a set because I found they lose their zing too fast. I hadn't tried the Pro Steels so I wasn't aware of their longevity - had I known I probably would have started with the DRs which I've had good experiences with.

16. I may be spreading misinformation on my post 12/13. I was using BSO as my source for shopping and I believe he has 6 sets available - for stainless steels. There are other choices (nickel, half rounds, flats, etc.) with more manufacturers but I'm only looking at stainless steels with a possibility of going to Nickels.

17. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I largely started using D'Addario strings a few years ago because I found their longevity was much greater than the Ernie Ball and GHS strings I had primarily been using up until that point. My favorite steel round would be Dean Markley Blue Steels, but I find D'Addario offers better value when considering price.

eriky4003 likes this.
  18. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017

Interesting, I've always found Rotosounds to keep their zing (and more importantly, keep their signature character) significantly longer than any other brand.

That said, I wouldn't recommend them to a beginner, as the abrasive feel could put them off ever picking up the instrument, to practice.

BrentSimons and eriky4003 like this.
  19. Agree on the feel of the string. They are rough.
    Maybe I'm being a bit tough on Rotos as the last set had the E string die on me 6 weeks into installing them. The other strings sounded great but the E died so I threw the baby out with the bath water, switched the set (begrudgingly) and swore off them for a while. I also want to say that the Rick is not the only bass I play so I felt burned by the Rotos hoping they had another 2 months of life.

Wood and Wire likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 15, 2021