1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pro Steels vs. Pressurewounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Kipp Harrington, Dec 5, 2018 at 11:22 AM.

1. I am seriously considering getting a set of GHS Pressurewounds. I have a set of D'Addario Pro Steels on my Squier PJ and really like them. However, I have heard that they beat up your frets pretty fast. Also, some people have complained about the high tension - they don't bother me tension-wise. I was just wondering if anyone could give me a "real world" tension between the Pro Steels and the Pressurewounds. Thanks!

Spidey2112 and BrentSimons like this.
  2. I have no experience with D'A Pro Steels, but plenty of experience with the XL Nickels.

In terms of stiffness/flexibility and overall playing feel, they're pretty close, comparing the PW ML7200 (44-58-80-102) and the D'A EXL170BT (45-60-80-107).

There is a noticeable difference, however, in their surface texture, the PW being quite a bit smoother in feel.

Arthur U. Poon likes this.
  3. Pressurewounds sort of sound like a broken in stainless steel roundwound initially. If you are into the increased high end twang/zing of a stainless steel roundwound there are many options out there if you're not into the Pro Steels. I like them as they seem to last or stay bright for a long time. They wont eat up your frets any faster than any other stainless roundwound so dont worry about that. :) If you bend your strings a lot or pound on the strings with your attack the frets will let you know. There are several companies that offer a low tension SS roundwound, DR Hi Beams and Dunlop Superbrights immediately come to mind. Lots of options!
    Take care,
    Brent

Spidey2112, sawzalot, Jewce and 2 others like this.
  4. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Try the Pressurewounds. They’re good versatile strings, and they will get the job done even if you don’t love them. Live life, take some (low risk) chances, and gain some knowledge through experience. ;)

5. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    It's been eons since I've used a set of stainless steel roundwounds, but IMO a fresh set of Pressurewounds aren't going to be nearly as bright as a new set of stainless steel roundwounds.

To my ears, a fresh set of Pressurewounds sound similar to a broken in set of nickel plated roundwounds. And for me, they keep that tone for a long, long, long time. They're my absolute favorite set of strings, but IMO they don't have "Piano String" brightness.

IMO they provide the most midrange of any set of strings I've tried. They provide great low end, with a strong fundamental, and their top end is defined, without sounding shrill. Their smoother feeling surface is nice.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 5:19 PM
    Joedog and comatosedragon like this.
  6. I am mainly playing classic rock tunes. I am pretty sure I’m going to order a Squier Classic Vibe 70’s bass. I think the GHS Pressurewounds would be a fitting set, considering your description.

7. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Kipp,
    I think they are most likely not so far apart in terms of tensions, given that you choose the Pressurewound set with similar gauges to the Pro-Steels that you like.

It's been a while since I used the Pro-Steels, but I do recall that they are slightly lighter tension than the XL Nickels which came stock on quite a few new basses that I have. OTOH, I had used all PW sets (L7200, ML7200 and M7200) with PW 128 low-B and 28 high-C consecutively since 2015 and I've just taken off my last set of Pressurewounds quite recently (about 5 months ago).

I'd suggest taking the PW ML7200 if you are used to Pro-Steels EPS170 set, the M7200 if you are used to EPS165, or the L7200 if you are used to EPS220. You'll notice the PW are easier to your fingertips. Tonality, you'll get more of mid-bump with the PW instead of mid-scoop with the Pro-Steels.

8. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    For classic rock, they'll slay!

Spidey2112, TN WOODMAN and michael_t like this.
  9. Awesome! Thanks!

10. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Both strings are pretty similar in terms of stiffness when you play them. Pressurewounds do put more actual tension on the bass, so you may need to make a (small) truss rod adjustment. They're both great strings, but I think you'll dig the Pressurewounds for the style of music you're playing.

11. Here are the tension figures for the two sets I mentioned earlier...

Pressurewound ML7200 (44-58-80-102)

G 044 - 43.3
    D 058 - 41.9
    A 080 - 44.6
    E 102 - 39.5

Total: 169.3 lbs.

D'Addario EXL170BT (45-60-80-107)

G 045 - 42.52
    D 060 - 40.86
    A 080 - 40.05
    E 107 - 39.45

Total: 162.88 lbs.

LiquidMidnight likes this.
  12. Mike Sorr

Mike Sorr “...play I some music...” Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Brick, NJ
    I like Pressurewounds and have used the GHS and Rotosound versions. They're very similar in sound and feel, but the GHS will run you about ten bucks less. They're great for fretless.

13. GHS Precision Flats and GHS Tapewounds have been my favorite strings for years and I ‘m now really liking the GHS Pressurewounds on my ‘56 Warmoth build with the Fralin Split ‘51 pickup. I do have other basses strung with a variety of strings but guess I’m a GHS fan boy.

Arthur U. Poon and Spidey2112 like this.
  14. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    California
    Pressurewounds all the way. I had XL Pro Steels originally on my EBMM, but those were bright. Removed them for XL nickels which were an improvement. Later though, I bought a Kiesel that came with Dunlop Super Brights. If you like brightness, I'd favor Dunlop over Pro Steels because of the balance tension. I don't like the brightness; loved the balance tension but not enough to keep the Super Brights. I replaced those with Pressurewounds and am happier.

I don't know how long the Pro Steels were on the EBMM as I bought it used with it. I didn't keep it on for long, but didn't notice any premature fret wear issues.

15. Jewce

Jewce

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA

"Pressurewounds sort of sound like a broken in stainless steel roundwound initially."

This

16. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    If you like the zing of stainless rounds, the Pressurewounds are going to be pretty dull in comparison. There are a lot of nickel plated steel rounds that are brighter than Pressurewounds, but easier on your frets than stainless rounds.

17. Sparkl

Sparkl

Apr 23, 2011
    Europe
    I kind of dig the sound of stainless steels a lot especially for studio use. Lots of inherent air in the string which is great for making a record sound more alive.

My problem with these strings is that they are basically impossible to play fingerstyle with. A pick is doable but fingers... Basically feels loke playing on scrap paper.

My solution to the problem are elixir ss series, while they do sound darker than most ss strings they still retain the hi-fi-ish element of the sound. You can then eq them to taste.
    Pros? They feel the same as most nickel strings, making them a joy to play plus the nanoweb protects your freta from destruction.

I almost exclusively use elixir strings on all of my basses unless I am after flats, in which case I like to choose from dunlop brights, thomastik or labellas.

songwriter21 likes this.
  18. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Fret wear worry ? Elixir Nano Nickel.

songwriter21 likes this.
  19. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    To be fair, fret wear won't happen overnight.

It'll take some time for even a Squier PJ to start showing any fret wear from using S/S Round's.

Stick with the Pro Steel's if you like them, and just play as you would. If you need to re-fret at some point in the future, worry about it then. Then there may be numerous options open to you, depending on the costs involved, re-fret, new neck, new bass, etc. In the meantime, just play.

20. I like both. I have basses strung with both. if you need a sound that is bright and gnarly then the pro steels are the way to go, and if you want traditional sounds then the pressure wounds are the way to go. Both are good for a vriety of styles and work anyway, so either would do. I just prefer pressurewounds due to the styles I play.
    Ghs Pressurewounds and Precision Flats, Sit Powerwound nickles, and Fender tapes are the Four horsemen of my strings these days.

songwriter21 likes this.