Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pro Steels vs XLs for finger style

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by DavePlaysBass, Jul 23, 2005.

1. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I keep reading nice things about the Pro Steels. I myself keep coming back to XLs partly due to a descent B string.

Curious what kind of players are using the Pro Steels? Anyone doing fingerstyle classic rock?

The last set of steels I used were Sadowsky and while I liked their sound, there was this grind against the frets that I really did not like.

Dave

2. Love the Pro-steels.

I play mostly black gospel with some old style gospel thrown in. Alot of fingerstyle with some slap.

3. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    For $18.75 a 5-string set at Just Strings I decided to go for it.

Dave

4. epoxo57

epoxo57

Feb 17, 2005
    Perrysburg, Ohio

groov'ster:

How are they on your frets? I'm more of a nickel guy, but am curious about these.

5. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    sound way better than nickel and last much longer too. rough feel but you get used to it after a while. prosteels are my favorite strings. i use the reg lights.

6. Don't let your initial playing of the strings in the first week throw you off. They get less buzzing and a lot warmer once broken in. Broken in, steels aren't the overly bright, metalic sound they are brand new. I love the ones I have on right now.

7. I love them. I have not noticed any unusual wear, for that matter any wear at all.
    The Pro-Steels have been the best strings I have found for me to date. I have tried Ken Smiths, DR, Elixirs, and Peaveys own Cirrus brand.
    IMO the Pros have a very clear sound that put a "new song" on my Cirrus 6. The B string was very tight and not flabby at all. I could really chord and sound good. The string-string balance is great sounding even across all strings (again the chording).
    For slap/pop they really stand out. The highs not harsh or brittle just right. They make the perfect "clakety-clak" sound.

As I write this I am waiting on my new set to arrive. :hyper:

8. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    These things PUNCH. Maybe I am having a new string moment but I really dug the first band practice with these ProSteels. I tried a 45-100-130 set on my Sadowsky RV5 and they feel good. The sound is a modern with highes that are smooth with a bite. The last steel strings I tried where Sadowsky and they had a "grind" against the frets I did not care for. The ProSteels seem smoother on the high end. Compared to my normal XLs, I think the ProSteels have more low end clarity. The midrange may have been a little scooped but not a whole lot. If these strings continue to sound as they did tonight, I may have found a new string.

Dave

9. I haven't tried the Pro-Steels, but generally I enjoy the low end growl of steel strings. They don't quite thump like nickels when they age, but they always seem to maintain that clear, defined low end and lots of growl. And they tend to last longer in my experience. XL's are good strings, but to me, they weren't anything special. Just your average nickel string. It seems steel strings have more character.

10. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Just played two back to back outdoor gigs with the ProSteels. I played all fingerstyle classic rock. These things are fantastic. I had a punchy, punchy tone with nice clarity and smooth highes. The sound on stage was great. The sound out of the board was great. And even the sound on my Mini DV video camera was respectable.

Dave