1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pro Tools First

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by verstft, May 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. verstft

verstft

May 16, 2016
    Has anybody giving this a shot yet. I'm a Logic and Ableton user but I've always been curious about trying Pro Tools to see what I'm missing.

2. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

ProTools is great if you wanna throw hundreds of dollars at it. You're not going to gain much going from Logic/ Ableton by going to ProTools. I personally know ProTools well since it was what my MA taught us on, and what most studios where I was interning used, and only use Logic for home practice and songwriting, so I can't say what usability in editing is like between the two. I would not bother with ProTools First; seems like there are too many limitations to make a good judgement of what the real deal is like.

Badwater and ddnidd1 like this.
  3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i'm a pro tools user but i have no experience with pro tools first...sorry. but i generally agree with TheEmptyCell 's take.

if you thought you'd be in and out of a lot of different studios = i'd bite the bullet on a real pro tools. if not: other DAWS work --- and i think all of them can work for home projects.

ddnidd1 likes this.
  4. LUpton

LUpton Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    Probably too old for this sh--
    Run - as fast and as far as you can - from ProTools First. It is way too limited. It is just designed to be a gateway drug to real Protools.

As mentioned before, many other DAW's work very well. Try one of them...

Silthis89, The Owl and Joe Lonsdale like this.
  5. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Reaper.fm

6. Hi,
    I did it the other way round - PT then Live. Main reason back then was that PT only spoke to their own interfaces.
    The thing I like about Live is the options of using it as a 'normal' linear DAW, or the mix it up malarkey with the triggering of clips. I use basic drum rhythms to practice with and can switch between different ones with help of Push.
    Nowadays, PT is waaaay too expensive and their 'subscription' licence stinks (as they all do - Adobe, I'm looking at you).
    If I were starting from scratch again, I'd give Reaper a go or even a hardware recorder. I'm getting more and more anti PC/Mac as I get older due to the upgrade this, incompatibility that stuff. I've got two MBP's a 2009, and a 2015 neither have ever been advanced from their original OS's.
    My $0.02.
    MTD.

The Owl likes this.
  7. Ulf_Hansson

Ulf_Hansson

Apr 15, 2014
    I really wanted to go the Pro Tools route when I started recording, because I knew I would cooperate with a few studios that were all using PT. I couldn't really afford that kind of money, and the entry level versions available at that time (bundled with some interfaces) were quite restricted.I guess PT First is the same.
    So what I have learned is that, as long as you only need to record and exchange the audio track and not cooperate in the mixing/mastering process, it is very simple to just export/import the raw tracks. Once you know how to do this, you can use any DAW that fits your creative workflow.

The Owl and viper4000 like this.
  8. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Pro Tools was my first DAW, and made the switch to Sonar. I had a love/hate relationship with it from the get go, with more hate than love. The installation was a nightmare, and nothing about it wanted to cooperate. If the ilok craps out your screwed, and won't be able to use the DAW until you get a new one. It's a system resource whore compared to other DAW's that can do the same thing, and unless you have well above the required minimum operating requirements, your system will hang. I also think it's overpriced compared to other DAW's out there that do the same things. For some reason, I also felt like PT was a real pain in the ass to learn compared to other DAW's that I've been in front of. I made the switch to Sonar and have never regret it.

I know 3 people that have tried PT First, and they all hated it. It's quite limited, you can't save to your drive, and can only save a max of 3 projects to their 1 gb cloud. Unless of course you buy a bigger plan. Not to mention since Bandlab bought Cakewalk (Sonar) and are putting out Cakewalk by Bandlab, which is Sonar Platinum (minus some 3rd party plugins) only under a different name, why would anyone want to use a DAW as limited as PT First?

The Owl and Jim Burkland like this.
  9. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    That's what I, and others that are working with each other do. Just export the track(s) as a WAV and send them on their merry way to whomever needs them. It beats the hell out of using a DAW you don't like. Unfortunately I don't think you can do that with PT First due to them only letting you save the project to the cloud.

The Owl likes this.
  10. Ulf_Hansson

Ulf_Hansson

Apr 15, 2014
    So that is a definitive killer, stupid way to lock-in potential customers.

The Owl likes this.
  11. Mcgiver69

Mcgiver69

Sep 28, 2005
    England
    Well I'm guessing they think that as they have become the industry standard they can get away with that clunky and obtuse business practice.

As for me I'm a Reaper boy all the way, it does everything you do with PT and way more. Consumes less resources and any new updates will not ruin your system. Hell even Cakewalk by Bandlab looks better than PT right now.

The Owl and cassanova like this.
  12. Ulf_Hansson

Ulf_Hansson

Apr 15, 2014
    Yes, the only reason I have even considered ProTools is to share projects (doing overdubs for some local studios). But, as that will never work anyway (due to plug-ins etc), we just export and import wav tracks. Works like a charm.

Been using Reaper as well, while Mackie were doing their best to kill Tracktion. But since T was reborn that is my workflow of choice.

13. Mcgiver69

Mcgiver69

Sep 28, 2005
    England
    I use Tracktion too as a second choice, Waveform is great now with so many new composition features.

14. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    I use Presonus Studio One after going through others. But that's just for editing. I do the actual tracking to a Zoom F8 and it's a fantastically easy device to use - especially for live location recording. The main downside to using a hardware device like this is the inability to do overdubs easily or at all. Basic stuff like recording a singer against a backing track are out of bounds. So you do give up functionality for ease of use. On the other hand, when I want to record, I just hit the on buttons and go. No computer to boot up, no hard disk noise whining in the background of my dead silent, sound treated home studio. Anyway, sorry for the sidetrack. If you're just editing WAV files for a home project, any DAW will do.

15. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    PT is very popular. Has been for over a decade. If one is curious about it, they should get it and try it out to see what they are missing. And report back if they like it or not.

16. mandalguitar

mandalguitar

Mar 21, 2019
    Norway
    I use PT First, and it's perfect in combination with Fractal Axe Fx. I send wav files to friends with the real-deal Pro Tools HD...
    PT First is not the tool for Mastering, as I see it, because it's very limited to plug-Ins...

17. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    PT First is an excellent free Pro Tools.

Here is a good comparison on features:

Pro Tools - Music Editing Software - Comparison - Avid

The nice thing is that you can upgrade for a month at a time to a paid version in case you need to do something the free version can’t do.

18. 3bc

3bc Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Chicago Burbs
    The only reason to use pro tools is if you’re s professional engineer or aspire to be. I know several professionals who have their own studios and thus do not really travel around to other studios and have pro tools only for when bands come in with sessions started at other studios. They all hate it, it’s overpriced, buggy, not relevant with modern computer power and the quality of native/UAD plugins, etc. and that is the grown up expensive version. All use logic as a 1st, 2nd, 3rd choice. Having spent a lot of time recording in studios on ADAT, pro tools, logic, my experience is the same. Logic is king, but I’m a biased logic user dating back to Emagic’s version 4.5 in 2000.

tfer likes this.
  19. Mcgiver69

Mcgiver69

Sep 28, 2005
    England
    Yes you are right and among Windows users most of them are turning to Reaper, all because PT has become a Behemoth and the product doesn't justify the price anymore.

Joe Lonsdale and tfer like this.
  20. Mcgiver69

Mcgiver69

Sep 28, 2005
    England
    I'll be damned! Protools First now allows you to save unlimited projects to your hard drive and syncs 3 projects to the cloud (for collaboration purposes).
    Well done Avid, welcome to 2019!! it was about time :)