1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pro Tools heeeelp! Mad wall of static!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by IconBasser, Oct 8, 2010.

1. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    Hey everybody, I'm experiencing some odd technical difficulties. My recording chain is as follows:

bass>distortion pedal>delay pedal>genz benz gbe1200>mbox2 mini>usb port.

everything sounds fine out of the mbox, but whenever I arm a track to record, I immediately get a ridiculously loud wall of static that I can't stop unless I disarm the track. I've tried different basses, ditching the pedals, going DI without the amp, but none of those stop the hissing. Is there some setting in pro tools that I have to tweak? Please help, I'm at my wits end here.

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Hissing or static?

I'll bet you are going into your M-Box line level and the M-Box is expecting mic level. The difference is where the noise is coming from.

Re-read the M-Box manual.

3. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    it's a very loud hissing noise. I'm going into the Lin in/DI and I've got Line in selected via the button switch.

4. Bassguy87564

Bassguy87564

Jul 5, 2006
    NJ
    This is a glitch with pro-tool questions I need to ask.
    1) Are you using the original mbox?
    2) Are you using pro-tool 6, pro-tools 7 or pro-tools 8?
    It would not make much sense if you were using pt8 cause Im pretty sure they fix this glitch. As long as you can see the sound waves on the track aren't ruined but if if its just a square block its useless. If I can remember correctly how I fixed it is by restarting my computer with the mbox plugged in.

5. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    mbox 2 mini with pro tools 8 LE. I'll try the restart, and see if that works.

6. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    well, that did the trick. Restarted the pc and presto, problem solved. Thanks for the help Bassguy.

7. Bassguy87564

Bassguy87564

Jul 5, 2006
    NJ
    no problem man

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021