Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

%&*#! Prob with GC (No, really Duke? Can't imagine...)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dukeplaysbass, Oct 26, 2004.

1. dukeplaysbass

dukeplaysbass Supporting Member

Argh!!!! Dammit! Curses!!!!

Just bought a brand-spanking-in-the-box-new GK 1x15 (200w) for an upcoming outdoor show. I liked the design and the weight and the sound, at least at G%$tar Center. That was my first mistake, buying at GC -- I'm old enough and experienced enough and should have known better....but the price was better than anything I'd seen anywhere, even the 'net...

Took it home, played it for 5 min in the garage and it sounds fine. Take it to rhearsal and within an hour at relatively normal volume, it blows the 15. I'm done for the night. Thankfully, there's a small practice amp and I could finish the rehearsal (good thing-- I was getting PAID for that rehearsal, too!)

I mean, come the %$&# on. I was running it with my GK 1001RB (the old version - 340w @ 8 ohm) so it's not like I was going nuts. In fact, I was running the volume quite a bit lower than I do with my 10-yr old cheapo Hartke 4x10 Transporter (which the GK was SUPPOSED to replace).

The only upside is that at least it wasn't on the gig (which got postponed, BTW, and I would have used it there first had it not been postponed....)

Now I have to go back and deal with the meatballs at GC. I know it's not their fault but they're they ones I'm gonna have to work with. I don't want another GK speaker after this. I love their amps but this is my very first experience with their cabs and I'm pretty unhappy...

So, I need your collective wisdon regarding my upcoming fight with GC. Anybody else have to go through a similar experience with GC? How did they handle it?

2. Give me a call. I can send you a 400 watt replacement speaker for that.

3. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Wow! Now THAT'S customer service!

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    See duke12, that wasn't difficult at all was it? :D

Daniel Elliot...you rock!!! :hyper:

5. dukeplaysbass

Just got off the phone with Daniel -- very nice guy, extremely helpful. He's sending out a new 400w replacement today...

I gotta say that in all my years, I've never seen customer service like that -- truly AMAZING!

GK, you guys are the best!!!

Thank you, Daniel! Hope to meet you at Winter NAMM...

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    This is an "open letter" to Dan, hopefully he will share this with his peeps at GK:

Several years ago, I had a service problem with GK, and as a result of the severe mishandling of my warranty issue, I vowed never to purchase another GK product despite happily owning SEVERAL pieces of GK gear at the time.

Because of Dan's input and availability here, I am changing my position - what a great way to show appreciation for valued customers.

Kudo's to Dan, kudo's to GK, and let's also get a shout-out for Talkbass.com as a professional's resource!

7. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Mr. Elliot seems to be doing good things for G-K.
    That's good, they make some great stuff- My MB-150S has done some incredible things for me....

I was curious tho- I have no special love for GC, however on certain gear, they have very good prices, as well they should,being the giant that they are.
    In that sense, I would imagine that there would be almost no problem whatsoever with them just straight out replacing your cabinet, no ??'s asked, even if the mfrs. warranty called for repair. True?

8. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Jesus, a new speaker offered in 5 minutes? Now THAT is Customer Service! Even if you cal lthe company directly it usually takes a bit of coaxing and talking to get them to send anything. You complain about it on an online forum, and a representative from the company speks up in 5 minutes offering a BETTER replacement.
    I'm going to have to look into G-K stuff myself now.

Ray

9. Thanks guys for the kind words. I can promise if you guys ever need to call in for anything, my cohort, Gene Lopes will also do everything he can to help resolve any issue.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    i am quite sure GC would have let you exchange the cab....definitely not as fast as Daniel has offered to remedy the situation though....

i had a problem with an amp i bought at GC...i brought it in after a couple weeks, and there was no fight of any kind....they apologized for the problem i had, and replaced it..

-Mike

11. dukeplaysbass

Actually, this is a good time to say a few things:

1. I have not had the best experience with GC -- I work right down the street from the Hollywood GC, and try to stay out of there for the most part due to the din that comes from the guitar section (the bass room is a whole diferent story -- all of the worst aspects of bass players with none of the upsides like taste and groove....) I've bought stuff there and brought it back for a refund because it sounded terrible at the rehearsal and got a bit of the Third Degree ("Why? What's the problem with it? Did you try it when you were in the store?") In essence, I try NOT to deal with them, I made an exception on this piece due to concenience and price. When the speaker blew, I was not looking forward to going back to them and was asking for advice on how to handle the situation.

2. I NEVER expected G-K to come through like they have. This was above and beyond. Sure, I could have forced GC to get me a new cabinet, but that isn't what I would have gone in there after -- I would have gone for the refund. G-K's handling of this has made me re-think my position of dumping this cab, and I eagerly await the new speaker's arrival so I can install it and check it out.

3. I came to TalkBass to get help from other professionals on how to handle a bad situation -- and I got far more help than I ever imagined. To show my gratitude, I will be joining as a Supporting Member in the next day or so. Thanks to all of you who (especially Daniel) who took the time to assist me!

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Ah yes, more converts! Kneel you fools, kneel! Seriously, Dan's the man! To have your amp die on the road, and you call the artist rep to tell him about it and to ask what the problem is, only to have him respond with: "I don't know and I don't care. That's not important. What's important is; you need a new amp" Two days later there's a brown truck in my driveway and a shipping label for the old amp. That's beats the hell out of any free amp! What good is a free amp if you're not gonna get great support? :bassist:

13. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Can that same level of speedy service be applied to the speed you reply to your Canadian distributor? It seems to take them forever to get some of the most basic parts in stock, and it's because they are waiting for them from GK, not because they aren't quick to the draw themselves.

14. gamera

gamera

Sep 20, 2004
    Gloucester, MA
    I know Troy that works in guitar sales over there, and he is a pretty good guy. He is at least very knowledgeable about guitars, and a nice person to deal with.

15. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    GC is pf course the giant of the biz, and that's probably a good thing for a lot of "mainstream" mfrs. like G-K, Ampeg, etc.
    (As opposed to "boutique" gear like Accu-Groove, Epi, etc.)
    However more and more high-end gear is finding it's way into GC as they continue to grow and dominate the world!!

Anyway, I once bought a Fender Bassman that wasn't my thing, and they didn't even blink when I brought it back.
    Another time, someone rolled in a RedHead, same thing-they just did the paperwork and gave him his $$. There may be some salespeople there who would argue so as not to lose their commission, but overall, they have a fairly straight policy regarding returns.

I avoid the Hollywood location, because it's even more of a comedy than the others, but the last time I was there, the bass room was actually well-stocked and maintained.
    As for the customer base---
    I worked VERY briefly for GC at one time- One of the reasons I had to get outta there was a bassist who would come in frequently, hook up to the SVT on the Ampeg rack, and pound a bass for what seemed like hours. I always wanted to tell him that I thought he would be a better player if he were to practice ----AT HOME!, maybe some scales, or reading, or something, but that's just me!

Anyway, good news about your cab and the service G-K provided. I like their gear. ;)

16. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I'm glad you got the problem taken care of so quickly. I'm happy that GK has turned around its reputation for unreliability and bad CS...it seems like Daniel Elliott has a lot to do with that.

Last year I had a problem with the boost circuit in my '87 GK 400RB (I'm the original owner). I emailed Daniel, he told me who to call at the factory. I drove my amp to GK (I live an hour away), they fixed it for only the cost of labor in less than a week. The amp's worked like a champ ever since.