1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Probably a stupid amp question but......

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ltrain, Sep 26, 2009.

1. I have an Ampeg BA115 that I absolutely love except for one thing, it doesn't offer an output for an extension cabinet. I have an Eden 2x10 that I would like to power off the Ampeg but have to use a separate head. Is there anyway to run another cab off of the BA115 either by some sort of mod or using the XLR output? Could you run the XLR into some sort of small power amp then to a cab? Of course then you aren't doing much different than using a separate head for the cabinet. I haven't seen anything on the Ampeg site as far as combo amps that offer an output for second cabinets. I know the SWR Black Beauty does and probably some others but I love my Ampeg. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.:meh:

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    No, not without adding other gear, at which point you might as well just get a seperate head. Those particular Ampegs are designed to push only the included 15" spkr, nothing more.

3. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    No decent method.

The best that can be done is to change the internal speaker to double the impedance, and use an equal impedance external speaker. That would mean an 8 ohm internal speaker and 8 ohm extension.

Not practical.

Combos always have the same issue.

If you DO provide an external speaker jack, all it really means is that in order to get all the power that you paid for, you have to carry along another speaker. That totally defeats the purpose of buying/carrying ONE smaller amp. A person could legitimately complain about that, it's almost deceptive advertising.

Of course, if you do NOT provide a jack, then people complain that "the dumb thing can't even use an external speaker".

With combos, it's a no-win situation on that issue

4. Appreciate everyone's input. I figured as much. Oh well, just will have to buy a 1x15 to go with my 2x10 and an Ampeg head.