Probably a stupid question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Dumfish, Feb 10, 2002.

1. Dumfish

Oct 6, 2001
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    I was recently looking at differnet types of pickups, and I saw variations such as dual coil, tripple coil, quad coil, and split coil. I wanted to know what the difference in tone between these pickups would be.

Any help would be great.

2. I can't say anything about the tone but multiple coils are used to reduce hum.

Split Coil is something similar to p-bass where each coil senses two strings.

Quadcoil means that each coil senses one string these normally have extremely low hum

Dual Coil is just a standard humbucker , both coils sense all strings.

Triple Coil is a special form of dual coil humbucker where you have a third dummy coil that doesn't sense any strings. At any one time only two coils are used and the dummy coil gives you the ability to split the humbucker ( use it like a single coil ) without getting the hum connected with using a single coil
  3. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Quad-coil can also mean that there are two pairs of coils, one pair under the top strings one pair under the bottom strings. Like:

With all the coils on these effectively sound like dual-coils, but they can be switched to have different pairs of the coils, split like a "P" bass pickup for instance:

== |==
    ==| ==

Or the reverse.

Describing the sound, that's harder. I'd suggest searching the archives, there have been a number of threads on this.
  4. Oh I forgot those possibilities but another possibility for quadcoil ( only seen this one once in a guitar pickup ) is to have four coils that all cover all strings and it is like having two dual-coil pickups in one ( or 4 singlecoils )