1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Probably a stupid question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Dumfish, Feb 10, 2002.

1. Dumfish

Dumfish

Oct 6, 2001
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    I was recently looking at differnet types of pickups, and I saw variations such as dual coil, tripple coil, quad coil, and split coil. I wanted to know what the difference in tone between these pickups would be.

Any help would be great.

Thanx.

2. I can't say anything about the tone but multiple coils are used to reduce hum.

Split Coil is something similar to p-bass where each coil senses two strings.

Quadcoil means that each coil senses one string these normally have extremely low hum

Dual Coil is just a standard humbucker , both coils sense all strings.

Triple Coil is a special form of dual coil humbucker where you have a third dummy coil that doesn't sense any strings. At any one time only two coils are used and the dummy coil gives you the ability to split the humbucker ( use it like a single coil ) without getting the hum connected with using a single coil

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Quad-coil can also mean that there are two pairs of coils, one pair under the top strings one pair under the bottom strings. Like:

==||==
    ==||==

With all the coils on these effectively sound like dual-coils, but they can be switched to have different pairs of the coils, split like a "P" bass pickup for instance:

== |==
    ==| ==

Or the reverse.

Describing the sound, that's harder. I'd suggest searching the archives, there have been a number of threads on this.

4. Oh I forgot those possibilities but another possibility for quadcoil ( only seen this one once in a guitar pickup ) is to have four coils that all cover all strings and it is like having two dual-coil pickups in one ( or 4 singlecoils )