1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

probably buying an SX... couple ?s

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GearHeadBassMan, Apr 22, 2009.

1. I know that fellow TB members have sung praises of SX basses due to their awesome value for money and solid construction, and I think I might grab one as a backup, as my main (and really, only) bass has been giving me some trouble as of late.

Just had a couple questions before I pull the trigger on this bad boy:
    http://www.rondomusic.com/sjb75cnat.html

how is the shipping? Is it packed well enough to not worry about a case? I have a case at home already which will fit a Jbass so I don't want to shell out the extra $50+shipping if I can help it.

How are they on warranty issues? Like I said, this is gonna be a backup and will probably spend most of the time on the guitar stand or in the van, but hey, anything can happen.

also, is rondo music the best place to get SX? thats the website i hear most often associated but I wanted to double check!

Thanks all!

2. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    There is another thread on a sx being unwrapped after shipping it looked good to me its UPS i dont trust UPS due to them crackin a squier once,but i heard there customer service is excellent and Kurt wills end you anything if something broke.

warranty? idk never owned one

Rondo is bascially the only place to get them ebay sells some but its through rondo still

3. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Rondo Music is the only Web site to get new SX basses from in the US. They are the sole distributor here. They also sell on eBay.

Their packaging is great. They use the double box method and I've never had a problem with multiple purchases from them.

Kurt is a great guy to deal with. If there is a problem -- any problem -- let him know about it and he'll fix it for you. Rondo is all about customer service.

4. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Mine arrived just fine, sounds WAY better than expected, and astonished me that it was only $89 + shipping.

5. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I've been dancing around which P-bass to get... MIM, Hwy-1, P/J blah blah blah... the choices go on and on.

I think I'm just going to get another basic SX P-bass and a 5-string Jazz and call it done.

6. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    Mine arrived on time and was shipped in a sturdy box, so no problem. And if there's one, Kurt WILL make it right.

The sound is the forte of those basses, while setup and playability out of the box really are not. Have a fresh set of strings and your tools ready to perform a setup right away. Some need fret leveling/dressing/polishing. Mine did not but I still yanked the frets out :oops:

It's a great backup bass and since the neck is fatter and meatier than most cheap basses, it doesn't feel as flimsy and stays in tune better. Wish I could say that about my Lakland. Great bass but I have to adjust the truss rod once a month or so if there are humidity changes. I have swapped rounds for flats on my SX p and the neck relief did not change, at all.

7. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Ive recently been interested in picking up an SX jazz copy. Can anyone tell me how light the overall boody of them may be? Like, is there some serious neck dive?

8. lowend1

lowend1

Feb 15, 2005
    The alder bodied versions (dot fret markers) are a little lighter than the ash (block inlay) versions. There is some neck dive on the Jaguar models, which is really no big deal, but the Jazz seems fairly well balanced. I added a sunburst/tort SJB75 to my SX-ollection, and it really is a sweet bass. At that price point, you're losing money buy NOT buying one!

9. Gear-
    Mine came packaged just fine, similar to what I've received from MF. However, anything can happen on a UPS truck, even if the instrument is shipped in a case with plywood backing. Haven't had to use the warranty. Set up on mine was fine.
    Just do it, you won't regret it.

10. alright, I actually LOVE setting up and intonating my basses, I just finished my as a matter of fact (recently switched to flats, had some shrimptailing but now its wonderful!

definetly gonna go for it as soon as this CL sale goes through. thanks for the confidence, I'll posta thread when she comes in!

11. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    A couple years ago I got a 5 string fretless SX. It seemed so difficult to play and the neck creaked whenever a note was fretted (think creaking door sound).

About a year ago I put some E A D G C strings which made it a little better but I just didn't like playing it. Recently I tuned those same strings down to B E A D G and it finally feels good. Also I took the neck off and there was a little wedge of paper about a millimeter thick between the body and the neck! I removed it and just for kicks put a super thin layer of wood filler between the neck and body contact point and screwed it back together.

It actually plays very nice now... no more creaking neck! I have not played it plugged in since this 'mod' but I can tell you I was disapointed by the pickups reproduction of the low B originally. This was the reason why I tried the EADGC strings.

12. NahuelCC

NahuelCC

May 7, 2008
    I want to buy a SPB-57 but I'm from ARGENTINA and the only way to get one of these is via RondoMusic.com online store.

The bass cost: $109,95
    and the shipping cost via FedEx cost: $123,09 (more that the bass:spit:)

If the bass didn't reach destination, FedEx took responsibility and pay for it???

I've read the "Return Policy" (http://www.rondomusic.com/returns.html) and it says:
    "Items shipped outside the US and Canada are sold as is - no warranty"
    "Customers that received the wrong item or damaged items may elect to have the item replaced or refunded"

Someone could explain me how to buy this kickass bass!!!???
    :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :help: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

13. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Buy a case too and Kurt ships the bass in it for extra protection.