1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Probably gonna get a new bass but I don't know what

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dan B, Apr 10, 2010.

1. G&L L2K Tribute

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. Ibanez SR530/535

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Ibanez SR800LE

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  4. DeArmond Pilot

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  5. Peavey Millenium BXP

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  6. Yamaha BB something

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  1. Dan B

Dan B

Oct 19, 2008
    Pittsfield, MA
    I've been thinking for a while that I need a new bass to accompany my Schecter. While I like my Schecter very much (and I plan on keeping it) I feel like there is something missing. That, and I'd like to try a 5 string if possible. Anyway, here's the choices that I have thought of (of course, these are all used basses):

- G&L L2K/L2K5 Tribute: From what I have read this is a real solid bass for the money. The problem is is trying to find one of these basses when they are for sale, and there are none in my area that I can see in person.

- Ibanez SR530/SR535: I was blown away when I played one (and back then I didn't have the money to get one, figures) and it seemed really versatile. I liked the Bartolini pickups on it, as it did sound different from my EMGHZ equipped Schecter. But again, finding one is a problem.

- DiPinto Belvedere: I tried one at DiPinto's shop in Philadelphia over the winter, and I was quite impressed by it. I did find one, but I don't know how they stack up against the G&L. Plus, there's no 5 string version.

- Ibanez SR800LE: This rare bass is being sold in my area and I am very tempted to try it out. Thing is, I know nothing about the 800LE, and how it sounds, what wood is used, etc. I read somewhere that it uses basswood (which is a great tonewood but is fragile), and the pickups aren't powerful. However, unlike the SR530, it's made in Japan. This is also in a PJ configuration.

- DeArmond Pilot: Like the SR800LE this is also in a PJ configuration. That said, I know nothing about DeArmond, other than that company and Guild are owned by the same company. Guild Pilots have gotten good reviews, but what about the DeArmond? I think it's passive also, as it has 3 knobs instead of the 5 I saw on pictures online.

- Peavey Millenium BXP: I have always been impressed by Peavey's line of products, be them imports or US made. This one seems like a good bass; it's passive JJ, and looks like it can cop a Fender J vibe easily. However the one I saw for sale looked like it had seen better days.

- Yamaha BB605: I honestly forget what model this bass was. It was a JJ bass (rather than soapbars), and active, and had a switch (that I think was active-passive). It was not a BB615, nor a BBN5A, and the pickups and electronics were stock (rather than swapped). I don't think it was a 405, but it had the same body and same tuner layout (2+3 rather than 4+1). Anyway, when I played it I thought it was an awesome bass, but I can't remember the model of it so I don't know where to look.

2. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    Go with the Ibanez! Either one will be great. I love those basses and have used them for years.

3. Yep - especially if you're looking at a fiver (of course, if you wanted a six, there's one in my signature - but the Ibbys are MUCH easier to play with a thinner neck).

Z

4. Dan B

Dan B

Oct 19, 2008
    Pittsfield, MA
    I'll keep those Ibanezes in mind. I'm still leery concerning the SR800LE but hey, if it's a good bass, that's the one I'll get.

The Yamaha that I played was similar to a BB2005, but it was redburst, which I don't think the BB2005s came in. I know it was a Nathan East type bass (NOT the NE2).

Anyway, thanks for the input.

5. Dan B

Dan B

Oct 19, 2008
    Pittsfield, MA
    Ah! Just found out what kind of Yamaha it was; it was a Yamaha BB605; great bass too.

6. I'd go with the G&L for sure. They are absolutely killer basses, and the necks are great.

Also, I would generally avoid basswood if possible. It isn't fragile, but it actually isn't a great wood for tone. It's a bit "flat" sounding compared to alder or ash.

7. nato101010

nato101010

Dec 12, 2009
    Ontario
    Yes

+1

8. Dan B

Dan B

Oct 19, 2008
    Pittsfield, MA
    Alright, I've been looking around online and I don't know what to do next.

Most G&L Tributes seem to be going around the high $500s, which seems kinda high (and my cutoff is at $400). That, and I can't find one in my area. That said, I am open to having one shipped in provided I can pay shipping.

I can't find any Yamaha BB605s anywhere. I swear the last one I saw for sale was the one I played at Daddy's and that bass has been gone for a while now. And I haven't seen any BB2005s anywhere. Ah well, gotta keep looking.

I am really tempted by the SR530/535. Anyone here have experiences with those basses? Also, there's a BTB510 that looks really enticing.

What are Yamaha RBX basses like? Also, has anyone had experience with the MTD Kingston Heir? They look like good basses although I don't know how much they usually go for used.