1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Probably need to downsize my cab(s)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jakelly, Jan 1, 2012.

1. jakelly

jakelly Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2009
    I primarily use an Eden D410xlt 8 ohm cab but I'm getting tired of lugging it. I also have a D15t, but I don't use it much.

What I would want is a much smaller, lighter cab that would be plenty loud. Perhaps 4 ohms to get the most out of my head (Mesa M-Pulse 600). Recommendations? 2x10? 2x12?

Thanks a lot. Happy New year!

2. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    fEARFUL 15/6.

3. anything mark bass

4. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    +1
    It's light and powerful and will blow the doors off your 410 when it comes to low end and hey if you dont want to build one there are a Lot of authorized builders out there that would be happy to build one for you. It will be the last cab you will ever have to buy :)

5. WingKL

WingKL

May 12, 2007
    There are also BFM Jacks that may work for you. They are quite a bit more efficient than regular cabs.

6. Go fEarful. You'll never look back. A single 15/6 is about 50-60 pounds, and can be carried in one hand. Mine was 40.5 pounds before I put the xtra heavy duty grille on. With light grilles, mine could be @ 42 pounds. My old 4/10 was nice, but it weighed 97#s, and the 15/6 just stomps it in every category. They really are that good.

7. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    Maybe a fEARful 12/12/6 for running at 4ohm. I have the 12/6 and a 12/sub so I can bring what I need. Both cabs under 40lbs. My 12/6 kept up with my old SWR Goliath II 4x10. If you really like Mesa cabs I prefered the PH 2x12. That was what I wanted before I built my fEARfuls. They may say we're drinking the Kool-aid, but it goes down so good.:D See if you can find someone near you with a fEARful and hear it yourself. The day I decided to build a fEARful was the day I threw out my back moving my 4x10. But like I said, try some cabs and see what you like.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's a little late, but an AE212 would hit the spot. Even an AE410, which weighs a mere 62 pounds.

9. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Apr 20, 2011
    I bought a simple trolly from Lowes for $26.
    Don't care what it weighs I am not picking it up any more. Everything wheels in easily now. I am currently using a 4x10 + 2x15 cabs with 2 heads.

10. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    I vote Genz Benz

11. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    I loved the sound I got from the Genz Benz Neo 212T. And it only comes in 4 ohms which works for you. Try one out if you can I think you'll be pleased with the tone, weight and size.

12. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Genz-Benz makes some great lightweight cabs...I'm also a Genz guy: one 12T, one 2x10T and one old Genz 15. I play mix-n-match as the mood strikes.

13. crustychef

crustychef

Apr 4, 2009
    Seattle WA
    Genz Benz 212t sounds huge in small package.

14. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    agree

15. jakelly

jakelly Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Thanks to all. I'll investigate options mentioned. fEARful looks good.

16. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    +1 on the NeoX212T

What I especially like about this cab is that it's taller than most 4x10's so it's easier to hear yourself in a live setting if you don't have stage monitors or IEM's. It also keeps up very well in volume, and its tone is to die for.

17. wonderjosh

wonderjosh

Nov 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, TX
    Two 1x12's or two 2x10's.

18. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Trust me Mate fEARfuls dont only look great They Sound AMAZING!!! Just Be Forewarned once you get bit by the fEARful bug and come down with a fEARful fEVEr....There is no Cure!!:D

19. Orange Isobaric cabs, light and small but put out ike big cabs. The SP212 is my favorite.