1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Probably not Stanley Clarke’s proudest moment...(low points of great artists)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by RobTheRiot, May 30, 2018.

1. RobTheRiot

RobTheRiot

Aug 31, 2016
    las Vegas, nv
    So I had some random channel on TV earlier as background noise, and I look up when I hear Vanilla Ice (I don’t know why, maybe expecting a good laugh I guess...)
    I look up just in time to see “Music Director - Stanley Clarke”.

Unfortunately I didn’t have time to watch the movie - I’m always down for a cheesy movie - and I was curious to hear what the soundtrack was.
    I did lookup the soundtrack - majority Vanilla Ice tracks, 1 track by Stanley himself, and 4 or 5 other tracks.

Maybe I’m assuming the worst by not listening to the soundtrack before posting, but I have to assume it wouldn’t be at the top of Mr. Clarke’s resumè! Ha!

Anyone familiar with this movie?

Can anyone think of any other projects that a great artist may wish could be forgotten to the sands of time?

BassWaffle and IamGroot like this.
  2. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    A gig is a gig, just saying.

3. RobTheRiot

RobTheRiot

Aug 31, 2016
    las Vegas, nv
    Oh no doubt!
    An opportunity is an opportunity, and if you’re trying to do Music for film you’re probably not going to start on a blockbuster picture.
    I’m sure everyone has some things in the past they laugh at or shake their head at, but wouldn’t change a thing because of the experience gained! I know I do...

Just having a little fun with it...

4. toomanyslurpees

toomanyslurpees

Jan 21, 2009
    That movie is a cheese ball cult classic!!

5. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    For most of the 70+ films he's worked on he did the score, which is very different from the soundtrack. All the background music you barely hear but has a huge impact on the film.

Actually, I remember an interview with him that said the only thing he's not proud of in his music career is his first solo album. Thinks it was pretentious in retrospect. I've never heard it that I know of.

6. Viggo51

Viggo51 Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Portland Oregon
    Stanley has a whole album named “At the Movies” the Bass groove for Passenger 57 is totally bad ass “always bet on black!”

Cutter8 and Herrick like this.
  7. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    LoL one of my favorite one-liners from an action movie!

Viggo51 likes this.
  8. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Don't shoot the messenger, please:

Wasnex and RobTheRiot like this.
  9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I came in here worried Mr.Clarke did something in-line with other recent celebrity scandals, one bad soundtrack is nothing to lose sleep over. I watched Spike Lee's School Daze the other night and immediately recognized the bass tone during "doin' the butt dance" as Marcus Miller. I thought it was just a sound-alike but, nope, it turns out he did produce the song. Sorry, this is the best clip I can find, cannot really hear the bass.

RobTheRiot likes this.
  10. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    I read an interview with Mr. Clarke when he talked about a gig where he only played one "g" note. I think he said,"a gig is a gig.":woot:

dan1952 likes this.
  11. ptg

ptg

Mar 16, 2008
    lets_dance_alt_cvr_1000sq-575x575.jpg

RobTheRiot likes this.
  12. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Bob_Ross likes this.
  13. ptg

ptg

Mar 16, 2008
    As someone who has just about every album he ever put out and had the luck of seeing him multiple times live...well...let's just say we disagree. Really, really, really disagree :)

14. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    ^^^This. I would put "Richocet" and "Without You" right up there with any of Bowie's best tunes.

15. dan1952

dan1952 Commercial User

Jun 27, 2012
    Anderson IN
    Artist Endorsement with Supro Huntington Basses / Owner, Dan's Music, Inc..
    Stanley Clarke toured with Keith Richards, and recorded with Roy Buchanan. Not a jazz purist at all. Like Will Lee or Nathan East in a way - he's a musician, and he makes music.

IamGroot likes this.
  16. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Mr. Clarke is very recognized for writing and arranging music and film. Serious bread there.

17. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    I saw School Daze in the late 1980s. WOW! What a film.

When I saw The New Barbarians, Stanley seemed to stay hidden in the shadows for the most part.

18. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Never heard this recording but played Sea Journey from the Real Book many times...in fact one of my favorites tunes. I do have to admit that much of the recording sounds like a very long outfade, but there are a few nice passages along the way.

I really love Stanley's playing when he is just playing bass...he can put so much touch and nuance on each and every note. Unfortunately his soloing often gives me the impression that he is bored and uninspired with music...ironic

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  19. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    The vocals are not all that swell on that particular cut IMHO. There are some great versions on other albums though, for sure. This is the one I'm most familiar with:

...which I saw this very band (more or less, at least) play at an ECM festival back in the mid-70s in NYC.

The last time I saw Stanley was several years ago at Jazz Alley in Seattle, with Dennis Chambers plus a slew of youngsters. Stanley was highly engaged, and his tone on the Alembic was a lot less over the top than in the old days. Still prefer his upright playing though, personally.

20. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    @Passinwind

That's a nice recording and very close to how I usually like to play it...a touch faster.

The Real Book References Piano Improvisations I [sic] and says the song was originally titled Song for Sally

Passinwind likes this.