Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Probably the most badass bike I've ever seen...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Hategear, Dec 19, 2003.

1. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    This is especially interesting to me, because as some of you know, I bought a VTX1800 this past April. Anyway, this was built by Jesse James and can be seen in an upcoming Cycle World magazine (I believe it'll hit the newsstands on January 6th).

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I think Jesse James builds wayyyyy cooler bikes than the guys at OCC.

I cant believe they swapped the West Coast Choppers Show with OCC.

Peace
    Nick

3. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Yeah, I think Jesse's bikes are more "real world." I don't care much for Jesse as a person though.

What do you think of Billy Lane's (Choppers, Inc.) stuff?

4. you kids and your motorbikes...

:p

just kidding, that is a seriously nice ride!

5. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD

They didn't "swap" it, Jesse's show was meant as a two show special, American Choppers is meant as a series. More family drama. "Bike building genius", ******* dad, stupid brother, and an Italian New Yorker, all together in the same show. Lets see what shananagins they can get into!

That said, I really like WCC's bikes. Jesse is a genius with his bikes. Completely made in shop (outside of the engine of course), which makes them that more custom. OCC, for example, buys parts and puts them together and call it a custom (aside from the theme bikes of course, but those are still just modified parts they buy from someone else, with a few actual custom pieces).

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    say hello to my little friend...

[​IMG]

:D

7. Amusingly, the New York Times recently had a story about how the increasing popularity of custom bikes is causing a corresponding increase in lower back injuries. Evidently, most of the WCC/OCC-style choppers are hardtails and aren't really suited for long-distance travel.

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Hehe, I just told you all I know about bikes in that first post.

Im scared to look into it anymore or I might get tempted, buy one, and kill myself.

Peace
    Nick

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I personally think Billy Lane builds the coolest lookin' choppers. He's got sort of the same sense of asthetic as I do, so I end up liking his choppers more than anyone elses.

That, and from what I've seen of him, he seems like a pretty nice/cool guy to boot.

10. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Yes they are and no they're not. You're a bad man if you can ride a hardtail for any distance!

;)

Perhaps on a similar note, the number of motorcyclists killed in Wisconsin recently hit 100 -- the highest fatality rate in about 10 years. They attributed it to the increased popularity of motorcycles, the increased size and power of said motorcycles and the number of inexperienced and undersized riders buying and riding said motorcycles.

:(

If I were to ever by a custom chopper, I'm thinking I'd buy local. There are a handful of custom chopper shops in my area, but I've never seen anyone with a "Bill's Custom Choppers" sticker in their back window. Weird.

Oh, if you'd like to see another favorite of mine, check out Confederate's new F124 Hellcat. Drool...

And finally, Nick man, here's some of Billy Lane's stuff:

Lane's "Psycho Billy Cadillac" (peep that rear wheel)

[​IMG]

And his entry into the Discovery Channel's Great Biker Build-off contest (the exhaust exits through the rear fender)

[​IMG]

11. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    Alot of Jesse's stuff really doesnt do it for me. But thats a nice bike. I guess im not really a chopper man myself, but custom crotch rockets do it for me. Anyone else not really into choppers?

12. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    eep....great year to choose as my first one with a motorcycle, eh? fortunately i only have about 20hp with 250lbs under me, so i don't think i can get into too much trouble with it. it would still hurt a lot getting hit by an suv though :(

13. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Good for you, but for the love of Pete, be careful! The old cliche is true, "It's not you that you need to worry about, it's the other idiots you share the road with."

Here's a quick riding tip for you: Approach every intersection with your left thumb on the horn button and your right hand and foot ready to brake. Oh, yeah, you may want to have your middle finger ready too (beep, then flip)!

;) ;) :D

14. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I really like Jesse's bikes, but my favorite builder would be Indian Larry.

15. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    oh yes, i cover the brakes whenever there's the remotest possibility i'll have to use them, and i've spent about 200 bucks on riding gear so far. helmet, gloves, jacket, and boots. too bad right now i could really use a snowsuit more than anything :D

went on a nice ride today actually, it was quite refreshing :)

16. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    the guy who was on that great bike build off thing with psyco billy made a pretty mean ass chopper too. alas i am too chicken to buy a bike. but i WILL one day get me a fully restored 64 impala or an old ford fairlane.

17. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    :D :D

The last time I rode my bike, it was 34 degrees. Heh, I used the word "invigorating" to describe that experience! Incidentally, after returning home from that ride, I put my bike in storage for the rest of the year, but...

I actually thought about getting the ol' Harley-Davidson killer out today (it's about 46 degrees right now) -- I've never ridden in December before! If I didn't go to so much trouble to store my bike every year, I'd do it.

18. Haha, JT has you beat with the tomahawk. That muther****er has the V10 from the dodge Viper-- actually I think the purpose of it is for publicity of the engine. 300+mph!!!

...Then again, has anyone heard of Leno's turbine powered bike?

19. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    That's odd. You can get the hardtail look on a bike that has suspension. Just put the shock somewhere where it's not visible, under the seat for example.

20. I think a lot of the super-stripped-down-looking choppers won't even let you do that.

Ah, hell, what do I know--I drive a Cherokee. :p