1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Probably will be moving to SF. Advice?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassguppy, Feb 26, 2008.

1. I already live about an hour away from San Francisco and rarely go there (only for the tourist thing). My wife is the primary breadwinner and may receive a job offer that's in SF. I would rather avoid a long daily commute so I'm not looking to stay where we are I know it's REALLY expensive (like $2200 for a 1 BR) but where would I want to live if we moved there? I already know some areas to avoid (Mission) but how is SF city living? Is the public transit really good or so-so?

Or is it best to live outside SF? Millbrae, Daly City.

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Say goodbye to your handguns.

3. I only carry a taser and a machete.

4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I think the City Council will ban those today :smug:

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Bring money, lot's of it.

-Mike

6. The public transportation is great. You could move outside the city, but why? Check out Cole Valley, the Richmond District, Sunset, Nob Hill, North Beach....there are MANY neighborhoods that vary wildly in offerings. They all have their own feel, safety, nightlife/restaurant/shop, and convenience factors. Many young adults love the Mission because it's a vibrant community in the process of gentrification. While it can be dangerous at night, and I've had a spare tire stolen from my truck:confused:, it offers a great night life and amazing hispanic restaurants and markets.

Ultimately, your income level will dictate your options. Once that is factored, you just need to think about what kind of commute you are willing to put up with and how important city life is to you.

There are some wonderful suburban communities as well, but the nice ones aren't much cheaper (and sometimes more) than the city.

7. I missed your "how is SF city living?" question. It is effing incredible and my favorite city in the world. I've done a great deal of traveling within many countries, so while this is subjective, it isn't an uninformed statement.

I don't live there for two reasons:
    1. Cost
    2. I don't want to raise children there. I feel it is an adult city and playground.

8. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I adore SF and will post more info when I have time. I have plenty to say. But, I'll start with this, there's nothing wrong with the Mission. It's an amazing neighborhood. Okay, I'll post more later.

9. Preach it!:cool:

10. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Peter, watch your cornhole bud.

11. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Thanks for starting my day with a good laff :D

12. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I was waiting for that. Thank you.

13. +1
    And any conservative views that you may hold dear. That is one goofed-up place. I got the creeps everytime I visited there. Unappealing and hostile place.. I hope you'll be alright going there.

14. While it's my favorite city for many reasons, my love for SF is not blind. There is definitely an extreme element that is self righteous and annoying. There is obviously also a thriving gay community, so if you are a homophobe it may be a bad choice.

Just realize that these are a couple facets of the community. It is a CITY with heaps of diversity in culture, attitudes, political views, and ethnicity. One of my favorite things about the place is that there is no common thread...there is something for everyone.

That said, if conservative and predictable small town life is your bag, don't move there or to any big city for that matter. Cities are places for people open to experiences.

15. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    SF is ok. Having lived there for over 5 years, it's far from my favorite city in the world. It's not a big city to me...certainly does not have the energy or diversity of New York. I'm happier in the East Bay. Public transit anywhere in Northern CA isn't great, but if you live along a MUNI artery in SF or a BART line elsewhere, you'll be fine. In terms of SF neighborhoods, most of the Mission is fine...as are a bunch of other reasonably priced areas (Bernal Heights, Richmond, the Sunset...). Where you'll be happiest depends on a bunch of factors.

Marshall

16. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Yes. Especially profound ones like trying to figure out why the City keeps trying to pass stricter gun shop regulations when there is only ONE gun shop in the city.

17. :D

18. It's a lot better than Southern CA, I can tell you that. Even in the city, LA is a beast. At least in the outer areas you have the BART.

19. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Ocean Beach. Live there. Great place.

20. Office Space quote?

:)

...golf clap...

SF has issues, but like several here, I find it an amazing place. Despite the negatives, it is the only "large city" I would ever even begin to consider living in...if it weren't for ONE negative: prices.

Ouch.

So, I visit whenever I can. Which hasn't been often of late, sadly.