Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Probaly a stupid question *LOL*About racks

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Mar 24, 2005.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Hey all,

I've owned combos all of my life. I just recently started putting together a rig (I have an Avatar Neo410 and just ordered a BBE BMAX pre today :hyper: ). What I'm going to ask my seem stupid, but....how do the pieces gear stay suspended inside the rack? I ask because I'll be putting a few spaces between my poweramp and pre, so I know that nothing will be sitting on top of the power amp. Are there plates that you mount inside for gear to sit on, or does the equipment hold itself up by pushing against the inside of the rack? How do you mount something that's half a rack space? I've had a rack for a few years, and the only thing inside is the two vertical rails used to screw in equipment.

Again, sorry if this is a dumb question, but I figured I might as well ask. *LOL*

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Dedicated "rack" gear will have little "ears" on each side with screw holes in them, and you simply screw them into the rack rail. Some units (heads/preamps, etc.) may have "rack ears" offered as an option. Other items, like the Raven Labs gear, for instance, are designed to be mounted on a tray that has the ears to screw into the rack rail, and various holes in the tray itself, so that you can screw the gear down to the tray.

Hope that helps, Tom.

3. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Yes, that definatley clears things up. Is the rack rail the two vertical pieces that run up either side of the rack, or are they horizontal pieces that run inside the rack? I have a Unitec rack, and I only have the two vertical rails. Again, sorry if that's a dumb question. I'm trying to visualize this and Howard Gardner would probaly say that I have terrible spaital intelligence. *LOL*

4. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Well, maybe this photo will help out. If you look at my rack, the screws up and down the left and right side of the preamp and amp are screwed into the rack rails, which run vertically up and down each side.

[​IMG]

5. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Thanks for the photo. I understand that part though. I was just wondering how the gear stays suspended. Does screwing a piece of gear in at the front support it the whole way through the back of the rack. I was wondering how the sides and back of the gear are supported.

Sorry if I'm befuddling you. *LOL* Like I said, it's kind of hard to explain what I'm getting at.

6. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Yes. Four screws in the front, and that's it!

7. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Cool, I'm not a physics professor or an engineer so I was having trouble visualizing a few screws placed in the front holding up a piece of gear that weights a couple pounds (or 20 - 30 pounds if we were talking about poweramps).

Thanks for the replies!

8. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Yes, but if you're putting something heavy or deep into the rack, you may want to look into something to support the back of it, unless it's on the bottom space of the rack and is being supported underneath.

9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Hey Tom...is that a 5 space rack? If so, where did you get it/have it made...I'm looking for one myself.

-B.

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    It can be a bit freaky, but done right, it works! I even rack mount my Crest CA9 in this manner, and it's 50+ lbs! The DB 728, above, it no lightweight either. Despite the fact that it is on the bottom rack position in the photo above, there is open space beneath it inside the rack (not much!), and it is being supported by the four screws in the front.

11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I bought that 5-space Titan rack used from BassNW.com.

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    My Crest amps have the rear rack ears, but I have never used them. Probably not a bad idea, but I've never had a setup where it would be super easy to do.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The four screws on the front of the gear are sufficient to support most gear. For some heavy items like, say, a 50-pound power amp, there are rear brackets that attach to the rear rails of the rack for additional support. Your BBE will be just fine with just the four screws. If you put your power amp on the bottom, it should be OK with just the front mounting screws, too. I have 6 PLX amps in racks, and am using only the front mounting screws for support. I suppose their rack ears could be bent if I dropped the case, but I don't do that too often. It probably wouldn't hurt to put some rear brackets on them, but I'm not going to do it.