1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Problem bowing light gauge strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Skumbas, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Skumbas

Skumbas

Oct 7, 2014
    Sweden
    Hi fellow bassists!

I bought a set of daddario hybrid light gauge and found them to be hard to bow. I get squeeks a lot and have problem to get a good grip with the bow especially when playing faster phrases and especially on the g-string. I really have to have a lot of rosin on the bow to make it work ok. When I use medium gauge strings (have tried Spirocores and Obligato) I don't have this problem at all. Has anyone else had this very problem? I really don't know if I just can blame it on bad bowing technique since it's only with this strings that I have problem. Could it somehow be that I got a bad set of strings? I haven't tried any else light gauge strings by the way. I found it strange since many people here on talkbass forum find the daddario hybrid light as a pretty good bow responding string.

Thanks!

/Martin

2. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    Use more rosin. I told my teacher I was trying to get by with less rosin, and she said, "Don't be silly-use as much as you need". You'l probably find you need less as you get used to the strings and they break in.

Jeff Bonny, dfp and DC Bass like this.
  3. Matt Ides

Matt Ides Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    If you can bow Spiros these shouldn't be an issue. Sometimes more rosin or a lighter touch is what is needed.

DC Bass likes this.
  4. DC Bass

DC Bass

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC
    Experiment with your contact point too. I've found that sometimes you need to move a little closer to the bridge or fingerboard when trying different strings.

Also, how old is the hair on your bow? Similarly, some rosins don't age well, and should be periodically replaced with cakes that are more fresh.

Joe

5. Skumbas

Skumbas

Oct 7, 2014
    Sweden
    Thanks all for your tips!

I think I've used pretty much rosin and it's get better for a while. A lot of rosin can almost always solve it but with strings with good bow response it shouldn't be needed, right? I've also experimented with my touch and with how much weight I put into the string but I don't seems to come along with this brand. With obligatos I can play with different touch and weight without loosing the grip of the strings. Well, I stick to another kind of strings and keep on practicing. Were just curious to hear what people here on talkbass would say about this issue.

6. basic74

basic74

Dec 28, 2012
    europe
    how old is the rosin?
    i always forget it myself, but rosin 5, 6 months old (depending on the clinate) is not working well anymore for me.. I ve got a fresh cake a few weeks ago and it was like a revelation ;)
    now two swipes every other day is enough.. 4hours playing every day..

salcott likes this.
  7. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    Then why don't you switch to medium Helicore hybrids? I use these too and they are better for bowing than Spiros.

8. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I do have trouble bowing light gauge strings and also medium and heavy gauge strings.

HateyMcAmp, Reiska, dfp and 3 others like this.
  9. Yes, isn't there something else than strings that you can bow?

10. Of course, your tailpiece.
    Probably easiest with a Marvin ...

Povl Carstensen likes this.
  11. Skumbas

Skumbas

Oct 7, 2014
    Sweden
    My Pops is about 13-14 months old. It still works ok but I have been thinking of trying a harder rosin as compliment as well.

12. Skumbas

Skumbas

Oct 7, 2014
    Sweden
    I just wanted to check if someone else has had a problem with bowing light gauge strings. I have two uprights, one with obligatos and one with spiros. Spiros is not strings I will buy again but I purchased them before I got into taiming the bow. Obligatos are very nice strings in sound and feel though. Maybe I should try Hybrid Medium since they are more affordable than Obligatos. But then I must make sure that it's the light gauge that causes my problem and not the Daddario Hybrid so that I will end up with problem with the mediums as well. I guess I won't though.

13. basic74

basic74

Dec 28, 2012
    europe
    skumbas,
    your pops is 13-14 months old?
    before you buy new strings, get a fresh cake - not one that has been lying around on the drawer of a small music store for ages - clean off the old pops and use just a little of the fresh one and I promise it will be a totally different thing.
    spiros, obligatos, they all bow great! plenty off proof on youtube. no pressure, just weight and a good horizontal motion.

14. basic74

basic74

Dec 28, 2012
    europe
    btw, I wish pops or any other rosin would come in half of the amount for half price! even this would be a waste, as probably 80 percent gets thrown away anyway.

15. DC Bass

DC Bass

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC
    Skumbas,

Have you tried Carlsson or Nyman? IMHO, some of the finest bass rosin available comes from Sweden.

Joe

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  16. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    FWIW I hate Carlsson bass rosin. Never stays on my bow. I have to give the bow about 6 runs each time I pick up the bass.

17. DC Bass

DC Bass

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC
    While "one's mileage may vary" given any factor we may change in our "bass equation", I believe rosin to be one of, if not the least expensive thing that we double bassists can experiment with.

Of course, YMMV... :D

Joe

18. dfp

dfp

Sep 28, 2004
    USA
    My experience with Light Hybrids is that they're pretty bright when brand new, and need several days of playing to mellow out. Have not tried the mediums.

19. Skumbas

Skumbas

Oct 7, 2014
    Sweden
    Alright, maybe I should get some new rosin. The Pops stays on the bow so I thought it was still pretty ok. Some say you can have the same cake for two years some say you should buy a new one every third month. :)

basic74 likes this.
  20. DC Bass

DC Bass

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC
    Remember, as Basic74 stated, the rosin should be fresh. Some retailers may have cakes that have been sitting in stock for many months, or even years. Finding a reliable source of fresh rosin is important. Freshness seems to be more of an issue with Pops than any other rosin I've heard of.

Try some Nyman or Carlsson. It should be readily available to you in Sweden, and maybe even less expensive than Pops. If you don't like it, pass it along to a section mate!

Last edited: May 6, 2015