Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Problem choosing bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bigdavis_08, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Bigdavis_08

Bigdavis_08

Oct 7, 2004
    Hugoton, KS
    OK, this will be my first bass. I will play pretty much just metal. But i'm having a problem choosing a bass.

Epiphone Goth Thunderbird IV Bass.....................350.00

Spector SSD Performer 4 String Bass..................350.00

Ibanez SRX300 4 String Bass.............................320.00

So.....which would be best for a first bass, and a metal player?

2. Rhythmalism

Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    Look around a bit on the spectors, you can get a higher end model for a similar price if you look a bit. Let's see, was it the q4 line? I forget.... Regardless, a decent axe.

I'm not a fan of the srx lines and lower of ibanez, they kind of scream cheap.

Epiphone's are great alternatives to higher end axes.

3. I would get that goth t-bird. very cool. also check out those schecters. they make a devil bass or something but i could not find it. this one is close. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/search/detail/base_pid/513023/

but the nikki sixx bass is cool. Make sure your strap is long enough to let that thing hang down to your knees. then you will look cool even if you don't play very well. but don't get into that as a habit or you will suck at bass the rest of your life. you won't be able to play chords or have much left hand mobility. string it D-A-E-B.

4. BlasphemyArise

BlasphemyArise

Jul 15, 2004
    i would look into the spectors, even tho the price tag is cheap they are still good basses :)

5. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    for really heavy kill em all death/gore metal i think that any would be good. just chalk up the distortion... but for starting out i would say the Ibanez.

6. Bigdavis_08

Bigdavis_08

Oct 7, 2004
    Hugoton, KS
    Thanks, im really looking into the Goth T-bird and a BC Rich platinum warlock 4 the same price.......which should i pick on that?

7. I'd go for the Schecter someone linked to-Schecters are sweet. That or the Spector.

8. Bigdavis_08

Bigdavis_08

Oct 7, 2004
    Hugoton, KS
    That schecter was 500$. mine has to be under 400.

9. Bigdavis_08

Bigdavis_08

Oct 7, 2004
    Hugoton, KS
    I think im just gonna get the Gothic T-Bird. Nikki Sixx, Brides of Destruction style. Thanks guys, if this doesnt work out i will get the Ibanez. Thanks!!!

10. good choice. if you are a little, lanky dude then get the ibanez. the t-bird is a man's bass.

i looked again. VERY cool axe.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/g=bass/search/bigpid/base_id/109005/

11. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    spector performance 4's are great basses, my first good bass was a spector perfomance bass

12. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    The Epi T-birds are not particularly good quality, not a patch on their Gibson counterparts. The Ibanez is OK but again is a little bit 'cheap'. The Spector line is good value for money and reliable with great tones.

Try the Spector but look around as you may be able to pick up a higher level Spector for the same price.