1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Problem hearing pitch for low notes...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by cornelos, Feb 26, 2013.

1. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    I've had this same problem for years and never mentioned it to anyone because I thought it made me a "crappy musician" since, during practice, I couldn't always differentiate from Low E till about F#. I just joined a band last week (first time in 5 or so years) and I just mentioned it to the guitarists and they said "No problem. We'll just tell you what note(s) when we're playing down that low. Teamwork is wonderful :)

I also have a bad case of tinnitus, had it since my first concert (Ozzy) when I was 16 (28 years ago). However, when I had my hearing checked a few years back, the doc said all was well as far as my hearing spectrum. Go figure.

Another odd thing I've encountered from time to time is if I sit too close to my practice amp (a 15watt) which isn't on too loud but I'm playing very low notes and there is a lot of sympathetic vibration going on, an the sound waves are reverberating around me, I get a mild case of dizziness. Weird. Anyone else have this???