1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Problem! help if u can

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by russ_4ft, Jan 3, 2002.

1. Ok, i playpunk very fast with my fingers and im having a problem finding a tone that will cut through but will also not be too top end that you can here the click from my fingers.
    When i play i hit the string and then come up and rest it underneath the string above (if ya know what i mean).
    I use a Hartke 4.5 bas module and i think i may have aproblem because im saving up for the head to go with it, but at the moment im using a trace elliott 600w head, and it sucks.
    Any ideas of what i should do, at the moment i'm using the infamous smiley face EQ (sorry) but i really dont know what to do.

- Russ

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Quit using the "smiley face EQ" and boost mids.

3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Take the smiley face and turn it upside down.

4. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Why don't you boost some mids? What kind of punker are you? :D

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

I agree with Turock and Phat Ham. Turn the smiley upside down, and you will cut through with no problem.

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Want to sell the Trace Head? Which model is it?

7. BassPlayerGush

BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    PA
    did u ever try using a thick guitar pick??? i don't use one often (i dont play much punk), but most punk bass players often use picks. u can use a compressor to cut those highs if you want, i would never use one. but hey if thats the sound u like, then do it!

8. I am selling the head but only withit's flight care and i'm looking for £400. I live in England so that could be a problem.

I am learning to use a pick at the moment because i'd love to have a fat mike (NOFX) sound, but thats not gonna be for a while, need to be albe to play convincingly well with it because i cant allow for errors when we play live. At the moment im looking for a 'no use for a name' tone but i just wanna cut through. I'm gonna try your suggestions about my EQ an i'll let u know the outcome.

Thanx!!

- Russ

9. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    all i can say is what the others have said...

turn the smiley on its head.

Picks are hard for me, so i sometimes have to use a compressor, which is fiddly, and sucks..
    If u can change from finger style to pick that easily, then go 4 it!