Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Problem!! Is it my amp, or my bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by dsmith, Apr 19, 2001.

1. dsmith

dsmith

Mar 29, 2001
    Mt. Vernon, KY
    I have a problem that started a few nights ago, when I turn on my amp, I get no signal from the Bass. I switched from Active to Passive input on the head, but that didn't help. I started to remove the cord from the bass, and my amp popped (just about knocked me down). I figured the Bass might have problems with the active pickups, but now every time I turn my amp on I have the same problem. If your amp is on, and you dont have the cord in the jack, shouldn't the amp still receive a signal? Doesn't really act like problem with cord, I have had that problem in the past. But I cant tell if its in the Bass or the Amp. New cord, new bass, new amp. Tried different cord, same results. Hartke 5000 head, 4.5 XL Cab, Shecter Elite 5 Bass. Any help before I load this thing up and take it to my nearest tech?

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Try this:

Turn on the amp with the cord plugged in but NOT connected to the bass. Keep the volume down. Press the tip of your finger to the tip of the plug on the cord. Hear a buzzing noise? If not, then the problem is somewhere in the amp.

Sounds to me like a flaky jack (either on the amp or the bass). Might be as simple as cleaning the jack with contact cleaner.

3. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    If you're still unsure, try a different instrument through the amp -- that ought to immediately incriminate ot exonerate your bass.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    New cord, new bass, new amp, old battery. Also, NEVER pull the plug out of your bass while the amp is turned up.

5. davetsbass

davetsbass Guest

Mar 24, 2001
    burnt hills NY
    You said that when you unplugged it, you unplugged it from the bass right? And that you heard a popping noise. That most likely means that the problem is in your bass. As others have stated it could be your inputs on your bass. Here is some things to ponder.. I wonder if that is the right word?
    1. Did your bass work before, did you get any sound, or is this the first time you tried playing it?
    2. You said you have something active on your bass. I'm not familar with your bass but if you have active pickups and your battery is dead/dying then the volume will phase in and out (or at least thats what happened with me) and will eventually die. If you have active electonics then your bass should still work.

6. dsmith

dsmith

Mar 29, 2001
    Mt. Vernon, KY
    O.K, here is what I have tried. I replaced the battery, plugged up, and bingo! Problem solved. But, after playing for about an hour, I turned the amp off, then decided to turn it on again just to be sure, and no signal. Unpluged bass, tapped my finger on jack, no hissing, thumping no nothing. Plugged jack back into bass, nothing, volume up, amp volume up, everything looked good. Took cover off back, nothing out of the ordinary, checked/wiggled/tapped/you name it I tried it. Put cover back on, played a little bit, then started slapping and popping and boom! Amp working again. Doesn't add up to me. Sometimes it looks like the bass, other times the amp. Both are going to the shop next week. I definatly am not going to ship it back to mfg. just yet, that will cost a fourtune. Will let you know what I find out. Thanks for the imput.

7. dsmith

dsmith

Mar 29, 2001
    Mt. Vernon, KY
    Problem solved, was a cord problem, but not my instrument cable. Speaker cable had a bad ground, causing the problem. Thanks to an e-mail I received from someone else, I think from now on I will use new cables when I purchase a new amp. Thanks for the input.

8. davetsbass

davetsbass Guest

Mar 24, 2001
    burnt hills NY
    Glad to hear that your problem was solved