Problem - La Bella Deep Talkin' flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Eli M., Aug 19, 2004.

1. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    I tried these strings on my Fender Jazz. I like the G, D, and A strings but the E string sounds quite different - it has much less of a defined sound. I used an extra-heavy set (.049-.109). Could that be the reason? If I use a thinner string (the next thinner would be .043-.104) would that solve the problem? The E string does seem very heavy. Maybe it was just a bad set, I don't know. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  2. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    There are two sets of Deep Talking flats...the 760 FL's and 760 FS's. THe FS's are a heavier guage and I did not care for them. THey almos sounded like rw strings and the tension was just too much for me but the FL's felt great and had theat thump and classic tone I was looking for.

3. Eli M.

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    Mine are 760FM. The receipt from when I ordered said "Medium" which really surprised me because they are very heavy.
  4. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Try changing the pickup height. Lowering the E side a touch may help tame some of the boom.
  5. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I recently put some Labella 760FL's (043-104) on my Precision and I too thought that the E string had less definition than the others.
    Upon close inspection I discovered that the E string was wrapped so low on the post (I purposely did this to get the most break angle off the nut) that the string was resting on (and bent over) the very end of the rosewood fingerboard behind the nut. I thought that this might be effecting the resonance of the E string so I cut off enough of the E string so that I still got a couple of wraps around the tuner post (and sufficient break angle off the nut) but made sure that the string went from the nut to the tuner without touching the end of the fingerboard.
    The E string now sounds better and more defined than it did when it was bent over the end of the fingerboard. And this is on all notes on the E, not just open notes.
    Call me crazy but this was my experience, YMMV.
    I'm really liking these strings too, BTW.
  6. Eli M.

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    This was not the case with me. I checked and none of the strings are doing what you said (resting on the fingerboard behind the nut).
    It's been four days since I posted my original message and the E string seems to have evened out a bit with the other strings. Not enough, just a little.