1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Problem on pickup selection

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by badboy1984, Mar 15, 2008.

1. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    I want to change the pickup on my Fender 60 RI jazz bass because the stock pickup have less attack, low output, hum too much and lack clarity on the sound.

So i done some research and found two possible pickup i could change but my regular guitar tech tell me something different.

I originally looking at the following pickups:

1) Seymour Duncan SJB3 set
    2) Dimarzio DP124 set

then my guitar tech tell me that EMG jazz set is way better.

So i was wondering which one will be suitable on my requirement? I want to keep my fender sound, with more output, get rid of hum etc.

2. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    All 3 sets look good to me. EMGs have a more distictive sound to me and probably not a good choice for keeping the original sound. As narrow field Jazz style pickups, tho, all 3 will have a "Fender sound" to an extent without actually being Fender pickups. Your Covette has active pickups in it, do you like they way they sound? Your Jazz won't sound like that but it should give you an idea of how active pickups respond and how much noise they create. Personally I'd go with whichever set you like the most based on your research; if you don't like them you can always replace them later on.

3. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    hmm, i think i will go for the Dimarzio DP123 based on the research. They are high recommend for their sound and output which i think it will suit me better.

My corvette is passive version ...... but i replace the stock MEC with delano jazz on it which it brings out the low mid really nice so i'm please with the bass being passive atm.